XXXVI

She felt a sense of loneliness about her as she rolled over in the bed, her naked body touching the coldness of the empty sheets as she opened her eyes. She had to admit that waking up without him being next to her was one of her least favorite things, she loved the warm feeling of his body pressed up against hers as he held her close to him, his lips pressing soft kisses on her shoulder and neck as he whispered a raspy good morning to her before she turned in his arms and pressed a soft kiss to his lips. But she knew that there would be mornings where he would be up before her and she was just going to have to accept it.

She ran her hands over her face letting out a sigh as she dropped them down to her sides trapping herself in the sheets as she rolled her head over to look out the window only to see a beautiful vase of red and pink roses sitting on his bedside table, a card in a light pink envelope resting against the crystal vase with her name scribbled across it in his signature untidy script with a small matte black box wrapped in a white bow sitting next to it. She furrowed her brows in confusion as she sat herself up looking around to see if Austin was maybe in the bathroom or rummaging through his closet but he was no where to be found, it was just her and the warm rays of the sun that occupied the room.

She continued to look around wondering if she should wait for him to come into the room to open up the card and the box or if it was his plan for her to open them without him being there. She waited for a few minutes only for the room to remaining as silent as it was since she woke up before she let out a sigh. She slid over into the coldness of the sheets on his side of the bed leaning over as she took a deep inhale of the roses, the sweet scent making her smile as she let out a quiet mmmm before opening her eyes as she reached out to gently rub the velvety softness of the petals.

She let out a small chuckle as she grabbed for the card, eagerly tearing open the top as she pulled out the white card with gold writing on the front, her eyes skimming across the front at the corny anniversary joke that was surely about to unfold. She laughed a little as she flipped open the cover to see his familiar writing on the inside.

I've never been good at this whole love thing, always screwing up and making mistakes, but now I realized it's because they were all preparing me for you. I'm still not perfect Kaylee but I'm trying my hardest to not fuck up or lose you because I don't think I'd be able to live with myself. I love you Kaylee, always

She felt a small tear trickle down her cheek as she laughed through it. He was so thoughtful and he loved her more than she ever thought someone could love her, more than she thought that she deserved to be loved. But, he was right. All of her unfortunate events that had happened in relationships just like his were meant to happen, each one drawing her closer and closer to him. She had never really believed in fate, but she was starting to become a believer now that she had found him.

She set the card down in her lap as she reached out for the black box with a trembling hand. The box alone looked expensive and her heart started to race as she could only imagine what the contents inside the box cost him. She grabbed at the end of the white bow giving it a quick tug as it started to unravel, the very faint sound of silk brushing against silk rushing towards her as she dropped the ribbon to the bed before she took a deep breath. She closed her eyes as her fingers pried open the lid letting it hinge all the way back before she opened her eyes, her breath catching in her throat at what he was giving her.

It was a beautiful princess cut Emerald ring on a white gold band that had six diamonds on each side. It was something that she had always wanted ever since she was a little kid and she hadn't even told him that she had always dreamed of owning something just like this, yet here it was almost as if he read her mind. She hesitated for a moment thinking that it was above and beyond the traditional gift for a five month anniversary, but he did this because he loved her and maybe this is what people did when they truly loved someone. She let out the breath that she was holding as she slid the ring onto the ring finger of her right hand as she held it out in front of her, her head tilting to the side as the rays of the sun made the diamonds and the Emerald glitter.