IV

In that moment, my grandma launched herself at Ami, releasing her rage.

She is mad, angry and broken. Her family was destroyed by what she saw as a friend, as a person of trust, as our salvation.

Ami wasn't able to avoid the attacks. Her face quickly met the pain its holder caused.

It's said that to practice jujutsu means to fully understand and utilise your emotions. This is what my grandma is doing. Her strength come from all those feelings that she couldn't contain anymore, liberating herself.

I wish I could do something to help her, but I am unable due to their fighting styles. I didn't want to injure my grandma with my technique, doing anything at this point will only get in her way.

Suddenly Mika became more restless. It wasn't the fight she was concerned about, it was something else. From the dark, in the woods, if you listened closely you could hear the stomping noises, branches falling as if they were decapitated and could smell an overpowering scent of blood and carnage.

"They're here! Grandma, they found us!" I managed to shout, informing her about the situation.

Once she heard me, she was quickly able to get away from Ami, and came running towards me. There wasn't time to exchange any words, so we just ran without a clear direction. Anywhere was safer than that place.

***

We ran in the dark, through the rain for what felt like ages. Finally, with both of us being exhausted, we found a place to hide.

"They shouldn't be able to find us here," said my grandmother pointing at some sort of a tunnel near the sewers.

We managed to run before they could reach us. That gave us an advantage, so we hid in this cold, unpleasant and foul place where only rodents and roaches roam freely.

This is how the clan makes you feel, like your life isn't as valuable as that of an insect, but will try to dispose of you as if you are some kind of disease. Power is deemed as dangerous when it can't be understood or controlled.

"Sweetheart, I'm gonna try to conceal our cursed energy so we can be safe. It might take all my remaining strength which means, for a few days, I won't be able to do much," she explained to me, but I already knew. The situation was bad.

Surprisingly, I was able to fall asleep despite everything. I knew we were safe for the night, so my body shut off, along with any thoughts I could have had.

That night I didn't dream about anything. It was all black and empty, like a void in my heart, in my soul.

Did I really lose everything in a blink of an eye? I've asked myself this over and over again, every hour of the past days.

It's been almost a week since it happened. My life completely changed and not for the better. I had to resort to stealing in order for me and my grandma to survive. Everything from food, clothes, to money and jewellery, anything was valuable in a way or another. My grandmother was left exhausted after all and could barely move, so I took care of her and our needs.

It was the right thing to do, it really was...

I was stealing from anyone no matter if they were rich or poor. Thinking about my morality in those dark times makes me wanna throw up.

Wouldn't you do the same?

I kept going on with that premise. Everyone in my position wouldn't even consider other options. Good or bad, is all the same. In life it's about perspectives and, right now, mine is focused on this lady's wrist.