XXXVII

The cold metal rested beneath me, still as a lake, its surface gradually misting over from the warmth of my body, like frost forming on glass. My hands draped loosely at my sides, fingers tapping in time with the tune playing through the car's broken radio. The melody was slightly distorted, crackling in and out, but I didn't mind. My eyes were fixed on the stars above, flickering in rhythm with the music, while the moonlight gazed upon the two of us.

"Hunting high and low to seek revenge. Brand new moral code, got made reluctant renegade. Leaving empty souls when he avenged. Evil spirits flowed, he drank the blood like lemonad ♪" I sang along softly, more to myself than anyone else.

"Will you shut up," came the irritated response from beside me.

"Ugh, grumpy much?" I retorted, propping myself up on my elbows and turning to face him.

"I'm throwing up here," he grumbled, his voice strained.

"Drink the water I gave you, Suguruuu," I said with a frown, concerned but also slightly amused by his state.

He rolled his eyes at me, the gesture clear even in the shadowy light of the night.

"It's not always working."

"Oh, I think I have something that will," I said after a brief pause, reaching into my uniform jacket. I then pulled out a lollipop and held it up triumphantly.

"Huh? Why do you have a sucker with you?" he asked, genuinely curious, his eyebrows knitting together.

"Well, you know. It's for that idiot," I replied, referring to someone we both knew very well, and tossed the candy to Suguru.

He caught it effortlessly, swiftly unwrapping it and popping it into his mouth. The immediate relief was evident as he sighed and leaned back on the car's hood, resting his head against the cool metal.

"This is way better," he murmured, the tension easing from his shoulders as the sugar started to do its magic.

"Do you always keep candy with you for him?" he asked, a hint of amusement creeping into his voice.

"Not always, but, you know," I shrugged, a small smile tugging at my lips.

"Yeah, yeah, you don't have to say it," he responded, gently nudging me with his elbow.

I couldn't help but smile wider, turning my attention back to the stars scattered across the night sky like tiny diamonds.

"Say, did you ever wish you were normal?" I asked after a moment, my voice soft but curious.

"Normal?" he echoed, his brow furrowing slightly.

"A non-sorcerer, that is," I clarified, glancing at him from the corner of my eye.

"Heh, haven't we all?" he replied, a wry smile playing on his lips as he looked up at the sky.

"True," I agreed, nodding as I returned his smile.

"I feel like it would have made everything better," I said, the thought lingering in the cool night air.

"Maybe, or maybe not. I know for me, being born without my technique would have definitely been a lot better. My parents would have probably accepted me instead of not understanding."

I listened, my eyes fixed on his face, trying to read the emotions hidden beneath his calm exterior.

I understood how difficult it was for him too. Being born to non-sorcerer parents and unexpectedly discovering such a powerful technique must have been incredibly challenging for Suguru.

"But who's to say that would have been the case?" he continued, his voice tinged with bitterness.

"I wouldn't have to deal with all of this. I wouldn't have to be hunted down like an escaping bird. I wouldn't have to—"