𝐟𝐢𝐧𝐚𝐥 𝐬𝐞𝐥𝐞𝐜𝐭𝐢𝐨𝐧 𝐞𝐱𝐚𝐦

⛓ 第二章⛓

𝑯𝑨𝑹𝑼 𝑲𝑨𝑵𝑨𝑲𝑨

"h-hey! watch out!"

1st Person POV

As I walked down the path, I noticed that wisteria bloomed all over it. Wow, impressive. After a while, I finally arrived.

It was the Final Selection Exam. I had practised for days — no — weeks for this. It was finally happening. I was so excited I was shaking furiously. As I looked around, I saw the cat lady from a few weeks back hanging on a tree upside down and sleeping. That was so cool! I wondered how she did not fall down from the thin branch there. Other participants were also concerned for her, but she seemed to be doing well, if not, perfectly fine.

I wore a black yukata and the black and orange crescent-patterned haori to the exam. I was interrupted from my blank state by two girly-looking dolls.

"Everyone... we thank you for coming here tonight. To the Demon Slayer Corps Final Selection." they both talked perfectly in sync. The white haired on the left continued, "There are demons imprisoned here on Mt. Fujikasane captured alive by the Demon Slayer swordsmen, and are unable to leave." the white-haired on the right spoke, "That is because wisteria, which demons hate so much, blooms even out of season from bottom to halfway up the mountain."

"However, there is no wisteria from this point on, and so demons bound," the girls kept switching places when speaking, "You'll need to survive here for seven days to pass Final Selection." they talked in sync again, "And now, be on your way," they bowed, holding the lanterns

【 ~ 𝐢 𝐧 𝐭 𝐞 𝐫 𝐦 𝐢 𝐬 𝐬 𝐢 𝐨 𝐧 ~ 】

Just demons, huh? This was going to be easy. I've trained with Naoki, it should not be that hard. I looked around, trying to spot some demons. "I have to head west so I don't touch the sunlight immediately, it'll be bad for me!" I muttered to myself, I ran past the people who were going in the opposite direction, wondering why I had gone to the west instead of east. I put my hands on the sheath of my blade, readying for if a demon attacked. I glanced around before heading over to the other side. There were probably more demons on this side, right?

I heard faint shuffling from the tall grass, unsure what it was since I did not have a heightened sense of smell or hearing. I put in more focus, trying to locate the demon hidden, "Come out, you coward!" the demon launched at me from the ground, trying to claw my face. I quickly pulled my sword out and cut off his head. "How foolish. I'm not some newbie at this." I thought to myself. The demons around here are too weak to spend time using my breath on, so I'll save it for emergencies. Poor demons. They must have been starving...

Whatever. There was no time to lose just pitying other creatures. Another few demons came at me, but they were too easy to see through. Beheading one demon and the next, it was not all that tiring. Just, super boring.

The sun was going to rise soon, I could see it. I was zoning out before a voice called out from behind me, "H-Hey! Watch out!" I instantly turned to the source, seeing another participant defending my back. " You shouldn't space out like that! You could get hurt if you're not attentive enough!" he had a distraught look on his face.  

"Why are you worrying for me, a stranger?" I was agitated by his words but kept myself calm, seeing as he was protecting me, perhaps. "As demon slayers, we have to protect humans, right? I'm just doing my part! Though I'm not keen on slaying demons, I will definitely protect us humans with all my might!"