Chapter 4 - The fallout

Outside:

"CAPTAIN BISHOP!!" Maya's radio suddenly boomed.. 

"Andy? Is that you?...."  Maya asked with a hint of fear in her voice. 

"Me and Vic were doing a primary search and suddenly the floor gave out now were only just hanging on to the framework! I - I think that Vic is unconsious! Send HELP!!"

"Hold on.. I am coming" Maya responded.. 

"Wait! Captain! you can't just go busting in there because your best friends are stuck in there.. Please follow protocol!" Miller shouted. 

"Andy and Vic are not just my best friends... they are a part of my team, and I would do the same for each and every one of you.." Maya answered.. 

"Captain." sighed Warren.

"What Warren?!" Maya barked.

"Just... Don't die.." Warren said with the slightest edge to his voice

"I'll try not to. I know you'll miss me" Maya said with a slight smirk.. 

Inside the building:

"Andy! Vic!  Call out if you can hear me!" Maya screamed as the ashes and smokes were burning her throat and lungs. 

"ANDY!! Shout for me PLEASE!" 

"Maya.. Help!" a voice said weakly from beneath her.. 

"Oh My God! Andy! Vic! hold on! I am coming!" coughed Maya.

She reached for Andy's hand and just as Andy and Vic got themselves back upto the landing of the house, Maya got hit right in the head with a dangling piece of wood from the framework and fell unconsious... 

"Maya!! Ohhh my god! Montgomery! there you are! help me get Maya and Vic outside..." Andy cried out with tears in her eyes.. 

In the Aid Car:

"Jesus! what happened to her?!" Miller yelled. 

"She got hit with a block of wood that was hanging from the ceiling.  She got knocked unconsious.. " Andy weeped as she saw her best friend battling for her life.. 

At Grey-Sloan:

"All right Warren! what do we have?" said Owen Hunt as he clapped his hands, ready to get into action.

" 33 year old female, blunt-force trauma to the head and was unresponsive for 8 mins. She had to be intubated at the scene because she lost her airway.." Warren said with his voice wobbling.. 

" Wait. Is this Maya? Captain Bishop?" Hunt asked.  

" Yeah. don't let her die Hunt. Please." 

"Who do you think I am Warren?" Hunt said

Hunt and two of his residents ran Maya's gurney into the trauma room as fast as they possibly could. Carina walked into the pit to see where she could be needed.. 

"Who do we have here?" Carina asked. 

"Maya Bishop. 33 year old female. Blunt force trauma to the head. Possible skull fracture. Okay. Schmitt! Let's page Neuro right away!!"

"Yes Dr. Hunt" replied Schmitt.

"Wait. what did you say?" said Carina as she saw Maya was well just a few hours ago. 

"Yeah this is Maya Bishop. Captain at Station 19. Ben Warren brought her in" said Hunt while rushing around the room and looking for the Neuro consultant.. 

"Where the heck is Neuro?? Schmitt! Did you even page them?" Hunt yelled. 

"Maya. Maya Bishop is here. No, you're joking me right?" Carina said with a slight tone of confusion.. 

"No. Carina, when have you ever known me to joke about these things?? SCHMITT! Do we want a Seattle Fire Captain to go into a coma for the rest of her life! I don't think so!"

"Okay! Okay I am here Hunt! Don't go all terminator on the interns please! They are just baby chicks after all..." Amelia responded. 

Carina's eyes were blurring, her head was spinning, she couldn't get how she just made up with her girlfriend and then suddenly she is battling for her life.. <Oh my god! What if Maya dies? or goes into a coma? What will I do? who would even care about me? No one even knew that I was dating her....>  Carina collapsed to the ground..