16) Seven of Clubs [1] ✭

Four days after the Three of Hearts and Six of Diamonds...

===Chihaya Korinsu===

The rev of a car sounded, slicing through the silent night air. In the distance, a single source of light emerged, coming from an old high school.

Two cars pulled to a stop. From the driver's seat, a striking young woman walked forward, her sunflower yellow dress flapping through its fold in the gentle night breeze. She pulled a few strands of her long hair out of her face, and took a good look at the venue.

That woman was Erina. I caught myself staring, before quickly turning away, my cheeks warm.

She turned back to the car. "Okay, everyone out. This is a high school, so we're looking at either Clubs or Spades."

The doors opened, and feet shuffled as people exited the vehicles.

"Head count." She said, walking up to the sidewalk. "Hearts: Erina. That's me. Diamonds: Chihaya" I gave a smile and waved.

"Clubs: Natsuki and Jin. Spades: Niko." He hopped out of the second car's driver seat, fixing his hair. "Ready to win this!"

"I hope it's a Clubs." Natsuki commented, looking at her reflection in the rear view mirror.

Niko shrugged. "As long as it isn't Hearts."

"I wouldn't mind Hearts, if it's a card we haven't gotten yet." Jin said.

"Testee: Komori." A willowy girl got out of the shotgun seat from the back car. "Here."

"Let's go then," Erina said, checking to make sure both cars were locked. "The games will be starting soon."

In the distance, a figure appeared. A younger girl with captivating blue-streaked hair ran towards the school, slowing down when she met eye contact with us.

She paused, lingering at the sight of the car, before turning to us. "Hey! Any news on the game yet?"

"Hmm?" I asked. "Oh, have any of you guys seen her before?"

Natsuki shook her said. "No, I haven't."

Erina tilted her head. "No, she doesn't have an NBO tag." Raising her voice, she asked, "am I correct to assume you're pretty new here? I can tell just from one glance."

She averted her eyes. "Can I be frank? This is... Only my third game. But what do you mean by NBO?"

Erina smiled, flashing the the cloth strip that was wrapped around her upper arm, labeled management. "New Beach Order. We're a group of players that are trying to clear all the games. You can join us, if you wish."

"You mean I—" She groaned. "Yeah, I'll think about it." The prospect of her being the only one not part of this affiliation seemed to intimidate her.

"So that makes seven people in total." Erina said, counting the players. "Let's make our way inside."

My body was tense, as it usually was before games. Thankfully, there were no new players. A chill crept down my spine as the memory of a newcomer getting ripped apart by wolves in the last game I played pressed itself into my mind again.

Erina led the way, walking at the front of the crowd and opening the door. We were hit with a wave of icy coldness; the inside was air-conditioned, soothing in contrast to the blazing midsummer Tokyo weather. Inside, signs pointed their way down the halls.

Please follow the arrows.

We walked down the halls. The carpets were a nice blue-gray, and the walls were a warm shade of yellow with a wooden chair rail.