CHAPTER 1: Game Start!

Year 2050, XX Highschool, Tokyo, Japan.

"Hey Haru, have you played that game?"

"That game?"

It was lunch break and I am having casual conversation with my friend. We are at the rooftop, it was kinda breezy and comfortable so we decided to eat here. There are other students who also with us eating here in the rooftop with their circle of friends or lover. But to be honest it is quite hot. This month is already June and we are approaching summer season.

By the way my name is Momota Haruka, my first name is Haruka and my last name is Momota. Under normal circumstances, I prefer to use my family name instead of my first name. Why? Because Haruka sounds feminine and I am a boy. I suffered alot when I was in grade school because of that.

"The popular one! You know? That one!"

"There's many popular games you know? How would I know what game are you talking about! Geez."

The one I am talking is my best friend Tokugawa Hiroki. He has a dyed blond hair and a good looking one. To be honest, I think there is a rule that prohibits us students to dye our hair but it seems this idiot didn't care at all. Well it's been like that since we started highschool so there's no point mulling over it.

What's more important is that what game is this idiot taking about.

"The EstherTale Online. Have you heard of it?"

"Oh that one... Yeah it's definitely pretty popular."

In the present year, the whole gaming industry have been more invested in VR or virtual reality games. The consoles, play stations, Computer games' popularity was declining and on the verge of being treated as remnants of the past. Once the VirTu gear have been introduced, many VRMMORPGs have emerged and one of the most popular one is the "EstherTale Online".

Anyone who asked if they know this game will probably answer "Yes", but to be honest, I haven't really played it at all. I have VirTu gear at home but I rarely use it. I am more fond of traditional gaming. My personal taste aside, EstherTale online is truly a popular game.

"So what of it?" I said, causally took a bite on my bread.

Hiroki seems displeased on my indifference but he just let it slide and took a box on his bag.

"I ordered one and accidentally bought two. I don't know what to do about it so... Here."

He then tossed the box to me. I reluctantly caught it with my free hand and looked at the box.

"You bought two of these?"

The box contains the game EstherTale, the popular game we are talking about. I took out my phone and searched the price of this game.

[EstherTale Online, costs 9000 Yen]

I frowned as I looked at the price. As a normal high schooler I know my limitations, that was also true financially. 9000 Yen is too much, not to mention that he bought two of it.

"Hey." I said devoid of emotion and then continued.

"Do you know how much money you've wasted? And if you are thinking that I would buy this for you, you're gravely mistaken!"

"I know! I know! I worked hard from my part-time job to afford it!"

Well... It is good that he bought the game with the money he earned. I would be more upset if he used his parent's money for it. But wasting money is still wasting money. As a lowly student who doesn't have much allowance, I should scold my dear friend.