⮑ ii. choosing fonts - mood

part 2, let's go!

now, let's talk mood in fonts. i'm big on symbolism in edits, and most of the symbolism i have in my edits is conveyed through the typography! 

 i'm big on symbolism in edits, and most of the symbolism i have in my edits is conveyed through the typography! 

(screenshot from my feed)

so this is a decent example of mood in typography (btw this was over a year ago please don't judge the editing i'm sensitive </3)! 

here, the quote was a parallel of scenes. context: the three mainly visible characters here are siblings but the guy with the red ribbon is adopted and it's the female that's speaking (and basically, she kinda... 🪦 CQL FANS READING THIS I'M SORRY OKAY PLEASE FORGIVE ME😭)

quote: "A-xian, you, me, and A-Cheng, the three of us must be together forever and never be parted." ("Never be parted." repeats)

i hope the context and quote aren't too difficult to understand, but it's okay if you don't get the context because we're just looking at phrases. 

okay, pop quiz! 

q1: how do you think the highlight text of "forever" should be portrayed (in general for this quote, disregarding specific context)? 

a1: ignoring the angst that's obvious in the rest of the edit, put the word into the context of just being with a loved one forever. i personally would think it'd be something you want, therefore using a lighter type style, something that has a more positive feeling. 

*buzzer sound* i'm wrong ‼️🚨 jk there's no right answer so everyone is right! it's based on interpretation (of the context. i set you up! sorry 🫢). with this example, by putting the text back into the context of the edit, the "forever" becomes a hollow promise. how i chose to symbolize that was by using a font that felt nostalgic/gave off the feel of yearning and then messed with the blending to give it that emptiness. (the font i chose did not emanate the proper energy and i was too lazy to find one that did, so at least the blending made up for most of it!)

next,

q2: how do you think the highlight text of "never" (the red colored one) should be portrayed? 

a2: it's a promise, right? well, it has the same context as the "forever". as you may have noticed, i put "never be parted" twice because it's two different scenes presented here. one is the color of sweet longing, the other is the tragic breaking of that promise. so it's cracked, it's dark, it's haunting – instead of the original loving promise previously shown.

 so it's cracked, it's dark, it's haunting – instead of the original loving promise previously shown