Chapter 4

I wake up several times in the night, and when I do sleep, I only have nightmares. I dream about home, I see it distorted and strange, I can't find anyone, I am alone. When I finally do find someone, it is one of the tributes from the Reaping or Maris. They lunge for me, plunging a knife in my chest and I wake in a cold sweat.

At one point in the night I sit up in bed and look out the window, we have stopped for refueling or something. Far in the distance, I can see the lights of a district, I wonder which one it is. By now we will be nearing the Capitol, and the mountains around lead me to believe we are somewhere in the Rockies, the mountain range that houses the Capitol. From this, I think it may be District 2 or maybe 3.

Not long after the train begins moving and I lay back down to sleep... I rise in the early hours of the morning to the feeling of my ears popping. The car has gone pitch black, and I can't see the stars or moon in the windows. I realize we must be in one of the tunnels leading to the Capitol.

Suddenly, we emerge on a track suspended above a large lake. The rainbow buildings with glittering lights lay before me. The Capitol! I wonder if the lights are on because the city is awake or if the lights are on for decoration, no matter the answer I know life in the Capitol is far far different from life in the districts. We dip into the city, filling my cabin with the rainbow lights, and coast into the large train station. I catch a glimpse of another tribute train when the windows on the train blackout, blocking our view of the outside.

I grip my mom's necklace tight and fall back to sleep. I think I've only fallen asleep for an hour or two when Clio is knocking on my door. "Wake up dear! We have a big day ahead!" I roll from the bed and pull out an outfit from the dresser. I don't put much thought into it, since I know in the next few hours I will be sent to the Remake Center for my first appearance as a costumed tribute to be paraded through the Capitol streets. This will be just one of the several appearances I will make in the week leading up to the games.

When I arrive at breakfast Quin and Clio are the only ones. When I sit down I am presented with a large platter of food; eggs, bacon, sausage, toast, potatoes, several exotic-looking fruits, tomato slices, coffee, hot chocolate, water, and orange juice. I'm not quite sure how they expect me to drink four drinks in a single meal, but in the Capitol, there is plenty of food to go around so why not drink four.

When Maizer and Bran join us she explains the itinerary for the week. The reaping was yesterday on Monday, today, Tuesday is the Opening Ceremony of the games. After the parade, we will be delivered to the District Plaza where we will spend the next few days. Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday are training, which takes place in the underground gymnasium below the District Plaza. Friday is also our private demonstration session. Once we've completed the three days of training we will be given the first of three scores that are compiled into our Tribute Score. For training, you can be awarded up to 12 points which are determined by the gamemakers.

Saturday is training for our public appearances and at night is our second public appearance at the Tribute Gala. This was added around the 200th Hunger Games in order for sponsors to personally meet the tributes, this apparently took some trial and error to get down but for the last few years has been a staple of the lead-up to the games. At the gala, 40 of the wealthiest Capitol citizens will meet and dine with the tributes. At the end of the night, we will get the second score. Each sponsor is able to award a tribute 1 point, so a tribute could possibly get 40 points, although I've never seen that happen. The most I've ever seen someone get was 10.

Sunday is the final day before the games. That night will be the Interviews, each tribute gets a 3-minute interview with the Capitol's master of ceremonies Otius O'Hall. That night we will get our final score, the public score. The citizens of the Capitol get to rank the tributes, the crowd favorite will get 24 and the least favorite will get 1. From there our three scores will be combined for a total score, for example, if a tribute scores 5 in training, 3 from sponsors, and 15 from the Capitol, they will get a Tribute Score of 23.