Chapter 12

I spend most of the day bumming around the penthouse feeling like I'm going to throw up or sitting on a balcony throwing pebbles from a vase into the invisible field that prevents us from jumping. When they hit, there is a zap, a tiny blue spark, and the pebble comes flying back.

When lunch is served I find it difficult to eat. There is a lot different from a Gala with 40 people to a televised interview with everyone in the country. Scarier, are the Public Scores, which is the thing that will make or break a tribute. I force myself to eat, and it is hard to choke it all down. 24 hours from now, I will be in the arena. The dark part of my mind notes that 24 hours from now I might be dead, being shipped back home in a wooden box and white dress just like Maris was earlier this week.

After lunch I retreat to my room for a nap, which turns into me rolling in circles, getting tangled in my sheets, and breaking into a sweat that leaves me more uncomfortable. When Flavo, Rose, and Azure finally arrive to get me ready I am relieved. I don't talk much but I listen to them, "Congrats on your 3, dear, that's very impressive."

They work to follow Leto's orders, curling my hair, applying makeup, and painting my nails a light yellow. When I am finally ready, Leto appears and puts me in the flowing golden gown that I will be wearing to the interview. She places my signature white flower in my hair and finishes off my makeup, adding a white highlight around my eyes. I twirl in a mirror and look at myself. I could be a victor, I have the look.

I think about my mother when I see myself, I think about her on her wedding day, depicted in the dusty photo album that sits in the sitting room. She was only a little older than I was back then and looked like me too. I hold my necklace tight and kiss it.

We meet everyone in the lobby of the building surrounding the obsidian obelisk with the victor's names on it. Ri has joined us, wearing a pea-green dress and sporting a cane covered in matching green gemstones. When it is time we all are taken to the garage and pile into the car that will take us to the Grand Theater. Ri, Maizer, and Quin get in the limousine behind the car and we pull away.

After a familiar drive through the Capitol, we pull into the garage below the Grand Theater. We are escorted by Clio to the stage entrance, while a Capitol attendant takes our stylists, escorts, and mentors to the special viewing area. We are lined up with the other tributes, all wearing their Capitol's finest, and the anthem begins.

We march out onto the upper deck of the stage and find our seats, we stay standing until the anthem ends and then are seated. The lights that illuminate us are blinding, but I make sure to keep my eyes open and not squint in the light. Otius O'Hall emerges from the bottom of the stage and welcomes Panem to the Pre-Games Interview.

There is loud applause and the first interview begins. It is now I fully realize how truly outclassed I am when each tribute gets their turn to shine...

The lights dim on us and are now focused on the stage itself. Adore goes first, flaunting her beauty and boasting about how she has boys and girls lined up around the block waiting for her triumphant return to District 1. Next is Hero, similar in cockiness. He brags about his skills with a spear and sword and reveals that he has waited for his chance to play for years. After him is Orion and Bea who have very similar stories about bringing back honor to their district and how both have trained at school for the Peacekeeper Academy. These four are pretty normal volunteers, and something we would see any other year.

Next up is Pix, she is quiet and seems shy. She reveals that she is at the top of her class, and is incredibly smart. Sprocket says something similar, but also explains that he has a part-time job at a factory where he lifts heavy machinery. Reeler and Jib are also pretty traditional in their responses, talking about their skills and district honor.