Snow Day

Her reminiscence of them coming home that day was fuzzy and almost unclear.

She opens her eyes to not the beaming, warm blanket of sunshine she would typically see in most of her mornings, but instead a wintry afternoon.

Lorraine watches out the window from where she lay in their bed, the set of linen they had thrown onto their bed being the slick, cotton kind you would typically put on before the cold weather settled in.

Whatever kind of bedding they had, it was certainly better than laying out in that white, spiraling tornado of a snowstorm happening outside their window, their front lawn piling high with snow within minutes.

Her mind darts back to trying to think of how exactly she's fast asleep in their bedroom again, and how exactly they got home before their driveway was dusted away with snowfall.

They were out on a case earlier, weren't they?

She's recently lost touch with what events have been real and what had been just a vision.

Many cases and investigations have flown in their direction, coming in from left to right, and this was more than they would have liked, especially after the one they were hesitant to deal with up in Enfield.

The two of them do what they can to help, desperate to assist families bigger and smaller than their own.

This was even to the point where they both knew that it was time to help themselves, help themselves by declining any new cases for a couple of weeks and taking that well-needed break.

The couple was very good at setting that break aside than actually taking it. They took everything apart from the things that would only benefit themselves.

Oh, Ed.

She easily spots a dark figure suddenly trudge out from their home, his usual grey, pleated pants and black overcoat giving away that it was indeed her husband.

Lorraine sits up from under the thick cover and watches him hop into their car and switch on the engine, she observes him up until he's down the road and out of sight.

He would have no other reason to go out so spontaneously, not unless they ran out of something important.

After trying her best to remember what had remained in their pantry, she then concludes that it must've been just that, just a quick trip to the grocery store.

She is torn from the midst of her reading to the sound of three gentle knocks up against the wood of their bedroom door, Lorraine shuts her book and laughs quietly, "hun, you don't have to knock to get into your own bedroom," she cheekily smiles at him as his tall physique pops through their door.

His eyes light up at the sight of her, she could've sworn she's never seen them shine so blue, "you're awake," Ed says enthusiastically, stepping in a little further.

Lorraine looks up at him with lost eyes, her smile falls as her eyebrows knit together, "I was going to ask you about that."

"Oh honey," he sighs, mouth curling downward. Ed seats himself at the end of the bed, cupping her intertwined hands with his, "it happened again... all morning you seemed to be having a vision, one that I couldn't wake you from."

Lorraine's face falls as she looks into his eyes, "so there wasn't a case?"

"I'm afraid not," Ed mutters, picking her hand up to his cold lips, "I'm sorry I couldn't wake you, but I'm glad we finally decided to take that break. Maybe rest will do you some good."

"Oh, I would hope so," Lorraine sighs, leaning herself back against their headboard while keeping their comfortable hands intact. She watches Ed as he looks over her, a look of adoration is what he was giving her.

His tired, rosy face and his strand-y dark hair were very eye-catching, he sat there petitely at just a reach of a hand away. As much as she wanted to nap in with him that same afternoon, something was telling her that he had other plans.

Ed smiles widely at Lorraine, "think you'll be up for something today? Take a small trip somewhere?"

Lorraine giggles, running a hand up his strong arm as she pulls him nearer, "like where? For what?"

"Oh you must be aware that it's the 14th of February," he says flirtatiously, "we don't have a case this time around, so we can spend it together, just us."

Lorraine feels her cheeks burn red with embarrassment, "I completely forgot," she admits, beginning to sadden, "Oh I wish I could've gotten you something."

"It's okay, Lorraine," Ed reassures with a small laugh, "it's our break, and I'm glad that you're getting the rest you need. That's honestly the best gift I could have ever asked for."

"Ed," Lorraine sighs, "you've spoiled me enough with your gifts, you better not have gotten me anything."

He looks away for a minute, failing to hold in a cheeky smile, "I know you absolutely hate my gifts but just wait here."

"Ed," Lorraine chuckles exhaustingly, watching as he lets go of her hands and dashes out the door, "I never said I hated your gifts."

She listens to him as he batters down the stairs and steps into the kitchen, picking off his shoes and his coat before heading back up into their shared bedroom.

Her husband walks in with a familiar, square box in one hand as the other held a gorgeous vase of lively scarlet roses, whose petals already began to peel off and settle to the ground.

He blushes and shamingly looks down to his feet, "I'm hoping after 25 years of marriage, you'll still agree to be my valentine."

Lorraine's eyes grow at the sight of the innocent man at the door, "oh honey." Lorraine laughs as she runs up to him, reaching up to cup and kiss his face gently, "you'll always be too adorable to turn down."

They laugh as their lips interlock, and soon they find themselves sitting on their bed again.

"I had a feeling you might wanna stay in, hence the weather," Ed smirks, placing the vase of roses on the nightstand before climbing up next to his wife.

Lorraine glances out their window one last time before landing her eyes on the box that he had placed on his lap.

He brought her a pizza from her favorite spot found only on the other side of town, it also happened to be the place that they'd spend the majority of their time when they were young.

They never had it often, not unless they had a case in the area which only ever happened rarely.

"I couldn't ask for a better Valentine's, just to stay in with you," Ed says, smiling down at her.

Lorraine cuddles up to his shoulder, laughing as he cracks open the box, "I couldn't agree more."

In the end, they spent the rest of that day eating, sharing stories, and spending a very much-needed amount of time in each other's arms.

Nothing could have played out any more perfect than that.