By Your Side

Lorraine found herself standing in the center of their living room, the heart of the house where they would sit together as a family during the time of night.

She had just come down the stairs for the first time in days, and it worried her to find the house looking so unlively and sounding so silent.

It's been an hour since Judy's been sent off to school, and as much as she would have liked to see it, she wasn't expecting to spot any toys lying around, or hear the giggles that belonged to their young daughter, echoing through the halls.

Lorraine was initially looking around for something else, a particular someone else.

Without a second thought, she spins around from where she was standing, and step by step she walked down into the darkness of their last floor.

Not to her surprise, the door that was down the corridor, the door of their office, was slightly cracked open, a bright yellow light spilling out from underneath it.

She nervously walks towards the light of the door, not even acknowledging the negative energy she felt when passing the entryway of the museum.

Thinking back to why she had closed herself away, Lorraine had experienced something far worse than what that entire museum holds combined... what she had seen in those poor man's wide, scarlet bleeding eyes took a big toll on her, a toll so big that she actually felt the need to do something about it.

Her eyes had been opened to the worst of consequences and she feared it all so much. Even too much.

She couldn't bear another day, selfishly locked in that room, especially with her dear husband worried sick out on the other side of it.

Lorraine slides in through the doorway as quietly as she could, smiling weakly at the man on the couch.

The blanket he had taken was one that didn't even extend up to his feet, his hair was in a tangled mess and his eye bags were the most noticeable that she had ever seen them be.

And just then her heart began to ache.

Guilt.

She crouches down beside him and gently outlines his cheek with the tips of her fingers, and as she watches him open his eyes, her sight of him grew blurry.

"Oh, Lorraine," he whimpers, carefully pulling her as close as physically possible, "please don't cry, Lorraine."

"I'm so sorry," she says fragilely, tucking her face deeper into the crook of his neck. Tears slipped vigorously from her closed eyes.

"It's okay, it's alright," he smiles widely at just being able to touch her, something that has only happened in his dreams for the past week, "is everything okay?"

Ed pets her soft, brown hair as he kisses her face all over, his hands slide down from her shoulders to her hips.

"Oh, honey... should I be getting you something?" He asks frantically, taking notice of how frail and starved she had gotten over the past few days.

"Not for now," she answers delicately, curling the strands of his dark hair around her gentle finger, "just being here with you has done a lot of healing."

Ed studies her closely as she wraps herself around him, as much as he wanted to go make her something to eat, he also assumed she was quite tired.

Maybe she just needed was to be with him for now, all she seemed to want was his presence and an extra couple of hours to sleep.

"I must be quite magical then," Ed jokes, picking up the blanket and lastly placing it over the both of them.

Lorraine giggles, "I don't doubt it."

He chuckles as he looks down at her, "I missed that smile more than I thought I would," Ed says as he kisses her sweetly, holding her preciously to his chest. "I'll run you a bath in a bit, how does that sound?"

"That sounds perfect," Lorraine smiles brightly, "it would be a lot nicer if you joined me."

He laughs, "done deal."