12.- The Fifth One

The next day it was a cloudy and a cold morning. The boys were at the pool in their swimming class. Liam racing against a couple of guys.

"Come on Liam! Beat them up, man!" Harry and the boys were shouting, rooting for him as Liam completed the last leap victoriously.

"He is good," Chase said standing next to Harry.

"He's the best. Are you as good as you said in freestyle?" Harry asked.

"I've been told so, yes," he responded.

"Let's see what you got, "Harry said and they got into the pool.

They were swimming almost at the same pace, equally faster.

"Come on Harry!" The boys were cheering.

Suddenly in the last leap, as they were approaching the end of the lane,  Harry saw how Chase's eyes turned pitch black. He lost focus and he hit his head against the pool's wall, he was at the bottom in a minute.

Unconscious.

"Harry! Shit man!! Please someone help me get him out of the pool!!" Liam shouted throwing himself into the water and he managed to drag him out with Chase's help.

All of them were surrounding Harry who was laying on the floor still out when he slowly started to open his eyes.

"You're ok man?" Liam asked him.

"There you are! We thought we'd lost you for a second,"Chase said.

"You hit your head pretty hard.
If it wasn't for Chase and Liam you'd swallowed the whole pool," Niall continued.

"And he also kicked your ass..." Louis said.

Harry was getting the last image he had before he passed out back in his head, remembering pretty well what he saw.

After the incident and being cleared by the school nurse,  he continued his day without stop thinking about what he saw. Harry couldn't help to stare at Chase, trying to figure him out.

A student opened the classroom door and delivered a written message to the professor.

"Mr. Collins, you are wanted in Mr. Higgins's office," the professor said.

Chase was surprised to hear his name, but he stood up immediately and as he walked out of the classroom, he looked at Harry and smiled at him.

Chase got to the Principal's office and opened the door.

"Did you want to see me, sir?" Chase asked.

"Yes, come in. Have you heard that one of our students was found dead in The Dells?" Mr. Higgins asked.

"Yes sir, I've heard," Chase answered.

"Did you know him?" the Principal asked seriously.

"No, sir. Why?" Chase said.

"His car was returned to his parents yesterday by the police and they found this in the back seat," he said as he gave Chase his student ID.

"Oh, I lost it that night," he said taking it and putting back in his blazer pocket. "I don't know how he got it, thank you sir," he finished.

"I understand that you became close to Harry and his friends," the Principal said.

"Yeah, they are great guys," Chase said smiling.

"I agree, you couldn't choose a better bunch," Mr. Higgins said smiling back at him.

"I think so too," Chase said smirking and walking out of the office.