Chapter 14: Eva speaks

Thanks, babe.

One day in the new year, Mum sat me down for a talk. "Eva, you know that friend of Dad's, Marion Girard."

"Sure, another fine furniture aficionado."

"Well, they want to collaborate on a compendium of period furniture. They are aiming at a major work."

"Okaaaay," I said drawing it out.

"This will involve many years of research, a lot of it on the ground in England, Europe and North America."

"Oh . . . are they . . .?"

"No, I'm pretty sure that they are not lovers . . . yet."

"Mum, what are you going to do?"

"I'm going to tell them to go for it, provided that's all right with you."

A little surprised, I shrugged, "What are you saying, Mum?"

"It will mean the whole bit, Eva, divorce, sell the business, sell the house; settle everything and start anew."

"I see, and is that what you want?"

"Definitely. I suspect that you're probably aware that your father and I have never been much more than business partners. It's time to end it."

I was used to having insights into other people from time to time, but I'd never had one into my mother. Suddenly, I saw it. A marriage in name only. Why the hell haven't you been having affairs, Mum? You poor frustrated bitch. I almost laughed at her stupidity, and my own for not realising. Instead, I said, "The business, Mum, you've put so much work into it."

"I have, but maybe I'd like a new challenge."

"What?"

"Let's see what happens."

"I say go for it, Mum, definitely."