Chapter 2: The Eastern Wolves

The heart of the Western Pack resided on a jagged mountain. After generations of wolves, trails of smaller grass had formed on the many pathways. Small canyons and plateaus of various heights were among the magnificent features on the hillsides. There were natural caves too; most of them had become dens for Alphas. Generally, the higher a wolf would go, the more likely they would encounter an Alpha. The mountain, especially at the top, was heavily guarded.

As one would expect, the pack leader's den was near the summit. With dusk approaching fast, Caitlyn's party and Winston walked through the labyrinth of rock on the slopes to reach a clearing where the pack leader's den stood prominently. In the middle of the clearing, a giant crevice split it into two sections that were connected by a long trunk. The mountain was nowhere near high enough to have a tree line, so Western wolves could concentrate on the summit. As Caitlyn and her father walked past the numerous high-level Alphas and their families, the effects of the famine could not be understated. Things weren't critical yet, but many of the wolves looked depressed and sad. A number of them were digging in the clearing to find any leftovers. Some wolves were successful, but fights would ensue over the scraps. The overall scene was abysmal.

After going over the log bridge, they made their way up a ramp that led to the den, which was completely made out of stone and had one of the biggest trees in the territory growing on top of it. A she-wolf whose fur color was identical to Caitlyn's sat in front of the den's entrance. She had been happily waiting for their arrival. Today was supposed to be a big day. But after seeing a disappointed look on her daughter's face, her mood changed. Caitlyn entered the den without saying a word to her mother. Her father shook his head as a signal that things didn't go well.

"Ohh..." Her mother realized she had her hopes too high. Winston then gave her the scoop.

"Huh, the Eastern wolves ruined Caitlyn's hunt." Immediately, she bared her teeth and snapped at the air. "Luckily, the Omegas were there to break up the fight."

Aww..." Her mood changed again. An array of giggling arose within the den, prompting the she-wolf to enter.

A brown she-wolf near Caitlyn had her rear end extended, so she could have the tip of her tail dangle above her head. She tickled herself by nudging the tip with her nose and blowing on it. Her mother sought to correct it.

"Mel."

"What?" she replied playfully.

"Ha, ha. Very funny. Stop playing with your tail..." She then turned to her other daughter. "Caitlyn, you're slouching!" Caitlyn lifted her head and broadened her chest. Her face was still forlorn, but her mother tried to elevate her. "Thank you, honey! Do you see how strong and beautiful you are?"

Mel sniffed the bare ribcage between her and her sister. Her reaction didn't give anyone comfort. "Any food," said their mother while stepping on a fly, "is a blessing, dear." She turned to her mate who was outside, looking at his pack from the stone ledge. "Winston, come join us for dinner. NOW!" That last word startled the pack leader, so he begrudgingly walked in. "Thank you, honey!" Upon seeing the ribcage, Winston gave immense disapproval.

"Scraps and bones is no kind of dinner! Not for my pack!" It made Caitlyn sigh and apologize.

"I'm sorry, Dad... It's just those Eastern wolves..."

"It's not your fault, Caitlyn," he replied. "When they crossed into our territory, they broke pack law..."Caitlyn felt better with her father's empathy. After all, their rival pack was giving him the most headaches.

"Winston!" someone called. It was Hutch's voice. Caitlyn and her parents exited the den. Next to Hutch was Can-do and a third wolf. The small Alpha appeared to be limping. "Can-do was jumped... by a group of Eastern wolves!"