Chapter 3: The Moonlight Howl

Vi's friends began their precious night playing Keep Away by using berries. Mylo and Viktor passed a berry back and forth while Claggor attempted to intercept it. Returning from her bath, Vi was surprised to see her buddies covered in berry juice.

"Hey, guys, we gotta get ready for the Moonlight Howl!" They couldn't hear over their own rambunctious cheering, so Vi tried to get their attention. "Guys... Girls..."

"Girls?" Claggor repeated. It seemed to Vi that the Omega in them was in overdrive. They didn't have to act like Alphas, but they had to act like adults. This was their first Moonlight Howl, and the event only happened annually. The wolves didn't need the Moonlight Howl to find mates, but it was their best chance and best opportunity, for it was the only time when all single adult wolves came together in such big numbers. The Moonlight Howl was especially important to those who were fresh out of school. It was the tradition that young wolves from school would start families in the spring. Spring was considered the mating season, and those without partners were ostracized. Vi and her friends didn't want to be left behind. Vi, in particular, took the event seriously. She knew confidence was key. She believed she would surely woo someone and hoped that her friends would follow her example.

The Moonlight Howl was a grand event. It was so grand that territory was meaningless. It was open to anyone in the Valley, and it took place on a mountain that the East and West shared. For a brief time every year, the entire mountain belonged to everyone, and Easterns and Westerns interacted in peace. If there was any rule, it was an unwritten one that outlawed confrontations regarding pack identity. This particular night was supposed to be one of pure romance and howling. The Moonlight Howl was distinct among other nights in that it was a special time for any wolf or group of wolves, especially Alphas, to howl for fun. Wolves of the Valley knew their soul mates by how well their voices worked together to create a unique sound. It was one of those things that required belief and feelings. Breakups were rare in the wolf world since having a mate was regarded as a lifelong commitment. It was said a couple would know immediately if they were meant to be by howling together, so the Moonlight Howl involved a lot of wolves mingling and attempting to find their match, and their match... had to be within their own ranks.

Later...

Vi gave looks of encouragement after her friends finished bathing in a large puddle. The Omega figured they had the swagger they needed before they traveled to the mountain.

"You are... cool. So let me go ahead, prepare the girls for your arrival, and you guys meet me there."

"Game on," said Mylo.

"Ooo, Girls," Claggor repeated again as Viktor barked excitedly.

"We don't want them to be, you know, surprised by how awesome you look," Vi added.

"Totally," Mylo agreed.

Meanwhile...

In the pack leader's den, Mel was helping her sister get ready. Not long ago Caitlyn had told her about the responsibility she had. Normally, Alpha business never interested her, but this Jayce character was intriguing. They had met him before, but rumor had it that he was exceptionally handsome now. Tony was said to be very proud of his son. Jayce was supposedly the beating heart of the East, the good side of it anyway. Unlike most Eastern Alphas who tended to strike a nerve with Winston, Jayce was mysteriously well-behaved, at least from what anybody in the West knew about him. Perhaps Tony trained him to be a model citizen, Caitlyn thought. Knowing the ego of the Eastern leader, Jayce was probably trained to be the best Alpha in the Valley. Caitlyn gulped as Mel straightened her mane with tree sap. She believed this Alpha would be intimidating, but whatever her feelings, this whole thing was in the name of peace. She didn't have a choice. Still, she doubted that her future mate would be any trouble. When the packs unite, he will be pack leader, and Caitlyn was sure Tony had prepared him for every eventuality. As harsh as the Eastern was, he wasn't a savage. Jayce will be a match for her. It was destiny.