Chapter 6: The Mountain Attack

Vi and Caitlyn were still sleeping when Marcel and Paddy approached the cozy den the two wolves had found. Since Marcel and Paddy were not fast flyers and it was not the easiest thing to follow the truck through the woods, they had been tens of miles behind. Sometime before dawn they caught up to the truck whose progress was slowed by the gas station. They discovered that the RV was empty and concluded that the gas station was the only place where they could have safely disembarked. From there, they tracked the wolves to the base of some mountains.

Asleep, Vi and Caitlyn rolled towards each other. The Omega opened her eyes and smiled. The nose of her crush practically touched her own, but she would not get to savor the moment.

"Fore!" yelled Marcel. He cast a rock into the chamber which bounced off their heads and terminated their drowsiness. "Well, well, well. What do we have here?" Caitlyn gasped as the birds seemed to think they were nuzzling.

"I say we've caught them at quite the bad time," said Paddy

"No, I say we caught them at a good time!"

"Indeed, sir! Indeed." The birds could hardly suppress their gaiety. Caitlyn was surprised to see them again.

"What are you doing here?" she asked, walking out of the den.

"No, the question is what are you doing here? I give you a first-class ticket home."

"Yes, a straight shot right to the pin," Paddy added.

"And you blow it?" Marcel then noticed Vi come near him.

"Yep... Over a cupcake," she answered.

"Ugh, ridiculous dessert. 'A cupcake.'"

"Well, actually, they're quite delicious," said Paddy.

"There has to be another way for us to get to Jasper," said the Alpha.

"Another way? Another way?" Marcel rolled his eyes. "Always 'another way.' W-what am I, a travel agent?" Vi stepped closer to him.

"Come on. What, are you kidding me? A great sportsman like yourself always knows a few ways to win the game." Marcel then thought about the golf fields in Jasper. He remembered always hearing a distinct trumpet-like sound that would often mess up his strokes.

"Well, uh, there could be a train..."

"Actually, there is a train," the duck clarified. "It's the Canadian Express and—"

"Paddy, please. It's called the Canadian Express, uh..."

"Yes, and it shoots right by Jasper Park."

"Right by Jasper Park. If you can catch it—"

"You'll be home in no time."

"No time. Very fast."

"Great!" said Caitlyn. "So where do we board?"

"Where do you board? Watch this." Paddy dropped another rock in front of the goose who subsequently shot it towards the ridge.

"On the other side of that mountain."

"Paddy, please," said Marcel. The two wolves looked at each other.

"Come on!" said Caitlyn before they darted across the clearing.

"You may," said Marcel, "and it was pretty good, wasn't it?"

"Indeed, sir. Indeed."

Meanwhile...

Mel watched Jayce prowl through the tall grasses near Rabbit Poo Mountain. The Alpha then leaped over the grass and threw a small log in the air with his mouth. Next, he put himself in a wolf's equivalent to a handstand and spun the log around and around with his hind legs.