Chapter 5: The Missing Files

The Night of the Blast
In the back of the parking lot of Greg's Diner sits a blue Ford Focus with the engine running. In the driver seat is James "Chip" Daniels, scrolling through his phone, listening to the song The Spirit Of Radio by Rush being played over the radio.

Chip closes out the apps he was using, and finally looks up to leave, only to realize his employees are out in the parking lot, leaving for the night.
His face turns a little red realizing how long he was staring at his phone screen. He puts the car into drive and begins exiting the parking lot. As he drives by, he waves to PJ, Yggil, Larry, Rick, and Sebastian.

Yielding at the exit of the lot, he puts his windows down to feel the wind as he drives. As he pulls out at the green light, he begins to hear the shrieks of the boys from the parking lot.
Very quickly, the area begins to light up bright, as if the sun was rising in the middle of the night. Before he has a chance to turn around and see what's going on, Chip's car is blasted forward as The Blast occurs.

Chip struggles to get out of the car and looks to the parking lot. It's dark, with smoke overtaking the area completely. He tries to walk through the heavy layers of ash and fog, but he begins to cough from all the fumes he's inhaling.

He tries to get back to his car before suddenly growing very weak. His legs feel wobbly as he begins to stumble. The more he breathes, the more he can see his breath, almost like it were winter. He brushes it off and says to himself "Too much second hand smoke of the wacky tobacky from Ricky."
He reaches down to grab his phone to call for help but then realizes it was smashed upon impact.
Leaning on the car, he looks around, and walks over to the only remaining pay-phone in Meenville.
He inserts a couple of quarters, and dials for emergency services.

The phone rings way more times than it should for something this horrendous. Chip panics, mumbling to himself "Did nobody just hear this fucking bomb go off?!"
Suddenly, he hears a voice speak out to him over the speaker. "911, what's your emergency?"
"Hello, anyone? There has been a terrible tragedy in town! A bomb or something just went off in the parking lot of Greg's Diner in Meenville, right outside of Pittsburgh..."
He looks to the phone, as it begins to completely freeze as he's holding it. Scared, he drops the phone, and his voice trembles as he cries out "What is happening?"

He dashes for his car, and as he grabs the door handle, it begins to freeze as well. He rips the handle off the car, and dives into the front seat. The blue car miraculously turns on, and he floors it out of the intersection, and down the street out of town...

2 Days LaterIt's early in the morning as Joshua "Beed" Bender and Alice Cade drive through Meenville, making their way to Greg's Diner

2 Days Later
It's early in the morning as Joshua "Beed" Bender and Alice Cade drive through Meenville, making their way to Greg's Diner. They drive around the diner, and assess the damages more clearly without the police and crowd everywhere. They notice the crater, and the damage done to the diner.
Alice says "This place is completely trashed, it's going to take weeks to get it back to a hundred percent."
Beed laughs making a snarky remark "The diner has never been at one hundred percent. All of our lives living here, it's been run down and what not."