Chapter 5

A shaft of light from the curtains entered my room straight into my eyes. I arose to the warm feeling of day. I removed the heavy layer of fabric and folded it nicely as I laid it on top of my bed.

It's days like these that make me forget about unpleasant things included with life — the love potion incident, which by the way just happened yesterday.

I internally groaned at the heaviness of the problem. It is truly critical. I'm a bit fearful that Ms. Fiona will let the secret out. There is nothing I can do if she decides to divulge, Sofia and I will have to face the consequences.

A series of thumps came from the door. "Baby bro," Axel called from outside the room as I ushered him to come in. Pushing back my hair I turned and faced him.

"What do you want?," I walked towards my closet while Axel found comfort in the small Sala inside my room. I grabbed my usual clothes and I heard the table scrape the floor a little. By that I knew Axel lifted his feet up on the table and is probably leaning backwards on my blue couch.

"So straightforward little bro," he teased, I rolled my eyes and began to undress.

"Say it now, I have to go to Sofia," I said. His expression reformed to something weighty and crucial. Something must have happened. I finished dressing and sat adjacent to him on the couch. I knew what the context for such sudden change is.

I rested my elbows on my legs and leaned towards my brother. "Tell me, how bad?," I closed my eyes to soften the blow. I felt him sit more straight then took a breath.

"The doctor says he might not reach next month," Cry? I can't, I don't have that privilege, this is the life of a royal. To show no weakness, no fear, lest it showed in my breath as my hands clamped tightly.

"If our old man is dying, why come so early?," I inquired, leaning back into the couch hoping it will envelop me whole.

He copies me and also feels the comfort of the couch on his back. Letting out a deep sigh as the corner of his mouth turned upwards. I raised my eyebrow. His change of moods were worse than a cat. I became wary at his varying emotions. A smug man indeed. Hope his conceitedness doesn't eat him entirely.

"Care to elaborate your quick altering emotions? It seems like your obvious sorrow for our father was an affectation," Affronting him on his questionable action. He just let out a hearty laugh.

He lost it. I never thought it would come, but here it is. My brother is a madman.

"You know, you may just qualify for the jester applications this month, but I will be extremely disappointed for a downgrade in title and character," I jabbed him with words.

"The doctor says that there's a cure, but the main ingredient can't just be bought in a shop," he says. With Dad's critical condition, finding a cure is extremely difficult, and almost impossible. I quickly became interested in the cure that Axel is telling me. 

"It's in the Aulilian Mountains."

Those words threw all hope out the door and left no crumbs. 

The Aulilian Mountains is infamous for it's perilous tracks. We have heard hundreds men go there without one coming back alive. We lost our great uncle there, an adventurer and cartographer. He hoped to roam the mountains to create a safe path, only 2 letters came back from his carrier pigeons. One being a note implying that he is safe in entering the mountains. And the other one was filled with splotches with dark ink and blood. And we knew, him coming back was far from reality and leaning more into a reverie.

"The Doctor's suggestion is a death wish, we may kill more men, we cannot sacrifice it," I got up to prevent the bloodshed that my brother will soon push.

"C'mon, we haven't even tried," he persuaded with his sweet brother voice. I get that he wants Dad to better, and I do too. Desperation does nothing with proper rationality.

I sighed and stopped in my tracks. "Axel, we cannot sacrifice men." 

"You think I don't know that?," he said getting more frustrated. 

"I think you don't! Because if you did, you know that the trust of the people will lessen if we push through this, I bet you haven't even told father. Because you know, even if he is on his deathbed, he won't approve of this idea. The King thinks with sensibility even if he is in anguish."

"Soon I will be king, and I am anguish!"

"And are you thinking rationally?" I said and he pursed his lips as the silence swallows the room in a deafening manner. He is contemplating. He cannot be blinded by hurt, he must know, and I hope that he will make the right decision. I closed my eyes and sighed, pushing back my hair again.

"Good Day Axel," I said and exited the room where my brother is probably now slumped on the couch. I shook my head, he needs time to reflect on this matter. 

I pivoted my heel as i turned to the right where Dad's room resides. I prayed to the Gods that my father won't notice the infuriating issue that we have now. I closed my eyes shut for a moment. 

This is my fear now. Walking into his room, passing by his desk and lampshade while the curtains are close. And the room is silent from his breath. I don't know what to do the, I may be desperate, but not insane. 

Alas, I entered the room with a face of a kid, but with the worry of a war soldier.

"Dad," I called him and his head turned slowly. His body frail and his breath shuddering at each one he takes.

"Hugo, do not pretend, I know the news," right then and there, I almost let out a ray of weakness.

I quickly disregarded his words as I took a step towards him.

"I should've guessed," I exhaled and sat on the oak-made chair flanking my father's bed. 

"Even if they do not tell me, I feel my body deteriorating," he said as he closed his eyes with a frown on his face. HIs breath slow and hands shaking. His skin sagging from the lack of fat. If you looked at a distance you could've mistook him for a corpse.

"I also know about the ingredient that your brother is trying to get in the Aulilian Mountains," I almost gasped, but then I remembered that the walls have ears and he is still King. He knows just as much what a shaman knows.

"And you are right," he added as I quickly glanced up to his expression. "I will not allow a pass to the Aulilian Mountains. A king may die but it will be replaced, everybody dies. And I cannot allow such young noble men to suffer on my behalf."

We basked in the quiet for a moment, embracing the silent comfort we pass onto each other. A royal's life is loud and scandalous. Scandal. 

"I have to go," I excused myself and bowed to my father before leaving.

"Get well dad, please" I said as I closed the door behind me.