Antithetical

Wad couldn't breathe.

He couldn't imagine going back to the way things were at the beginning. The two had done so much together, it seemed purely impossible that was how things would end.

No matter what way he thought of it, he could no longer stand to see a future without Prem in it. That brush with a beautiful future where they would walk beneath the trees barefoot on dirt paths was all Wad desired as he stared at Prem's cold face.

His heart ached painfully at the thought of Prem hating him.

Prem's friends cleared their throats and Prem turned to face them.

He could hardly believe it when he saw Wad standing there, so close after being gone for so long. A year ago and he had barely met the younger, now he hated they had been apart for so long without a word.

He looked at his friends with a glare that cut like the blade of a sword, asking them through nothing but silence why are you still here?

They scampered like ants, murmuring nonsense about finding their way back to the main road, then disappeared down the same road that Wad's mother had walked down.

It was just the two of them against the noisy backdrop of the busy main road a few blocks away.

Wad was already breaking apart, Prem could see it.

He didn't need an apology, but to see that face, those eyes that begged for forgiveness and understanding shown not only to him, but to his friends as well had turned him into protector-mode.

He took ten steps forward, careful to miss the curb as he stepped around the car, and brought his junior tight against his chest in a hug that would have squeezed the breath out of Wad had he remembered to breathe.

No words were said, nothing was needed during that time, where Wad gripped onto Prem with the desperation of a madman, and Prem held up Wad like he would fall to pieces if he touched the cement.

The sun started to set by the time Wad decided it was time to stand on his own.

He stepped away from Prem, but his hands only moved from the elder's back to hold his face in his hands.

He could see Prem had dropped the cold exterior and was replaced by the same love that Wad had longed to see for months.

"You disappeared," Prem whispered.

"I'm sorry," Wad hiccuped, his fingertips brushing against Prem's skin.

Prem shook his head and kissed the forehead of his lover.

"I was worried something bad had happened until Kongpob told me what happened," Prem sighed, pressing their foreheads together. He brushed his nose against Wad's and could feel the heat coming off the younger's face. There were tears in his eyes, precious tears.

"Why didn't you tell me?"

Wad shook his head. He couldn't say anything, neither did he want to, just to stay here with Prem for right now.

"Ah, no matter," Prem sighed, leaning back only to press a gentle kiss to the lips of his lover, "I thought we had an understanding."

Wad stared at him in confusion.

"Our facades are for everyone but us. Your parents don't get them, and neither do I," Prem whispered, "But my friends were here. I haven't them told them anything about us, nor do I want to."

Wad shook his head in apology and pressed his head into Prem's shoulder.

"I love you," Prem whispered, "Please don't do that again."