Tenant #8

János walked for hours in the thick cold of the night, his arms wrapped tightly around himself. Every breath he took rolled out of him and into the blackness. He walked along the sidewalks and roads closest to the lake, using it as his guide.
He didn't think about how cold he was, or about how he was walking alone in a new land. He didn't think at all, and became numb to any feeling to push himself to Painesville.

He reached the town in the early hours of the morning. The deep magenta sunrise started to peek above the skyline as he walked up to the sign that said "Welcome to Painesville."
János stood in front of it and just stared while catching his breath. Looking out beyond the sign he saw what could only be the courthouse, a large brick building with a green top. In front of it was a courtyard or park of some sort, with tall, bare trees looming over the naturally made walkways.

János began walking to try and find a spot to rest. He walked through the park and to the courthouse and gleamed up at it, squinting in the now orange sunrise. He walked slowly around the giant building, examining the new-looking brick, running his fingers along the sides of the building as he made his way onto Main Street.

It was a long row of different colored buildings all pushed together. Some had canopy store fronts and some did not.
He seemed to be the only one awake.

János wandered slowly down Main Street, looking into all of the windows. This one street seemed to have everything a person could ever need.

The "5 & Dime" looked like it had a multitude of different things for every day life, such as small grocery items, toiletries, and even kids toys.
"Yvette's Boutique" had dainty dresses, fur-lined coats, and fancy purses in the window.
János passed a tackle shop, a jewelry store, and a bakery before he found a mens store, called "Russels." He stood there and admired the warm looking coats, sturdy boots, and thick trousers. Only then did he realize how cold he was.

Shivering, he decided to find a place to rest. He cut down an alleyway to avoid the wind, and found an empty wooden bench. Next to it was an old door, presumably to one of the shops. János took a seat, laid down across it, and fell asleep instantly.

János was awoken by the screech of the door followed by a loud, high-pitched scream. He jumped to his feet immediately and saw an older woman in a purple dress and black coat startled in front of him. She seemed to be 45 or 50 years old and her blonde hair was turning white.
"Jesus... you scared me!" She yelled with a laugh. Her smile made him more comfortable but he had no idea what she said.
"I'm so sorry." He said although he knew she wouldn't understand him either. Her face scrunched up.
She thought for a second, looking at his tattered clothes and dirty skin.
"Are you Hungarian?" She asked. That word he recognized. János nodded feverishly.

She held out the palms of her hands to where he could see them and said "wait right here, hold on."
The woman walked down the alleyway and out of sight. He assumed she wanted him to stay where he was.
Not much later she returned with a man roughly the same age as her. He was much taller, had grey and black hair and a long face.

"Jó reggelt." The man said, shaking János' hand. Almost too stunned to speak, János smiled and shook his hand back.

"Follow me." He motioned for János to walk with him, and he did so. The older woman smiled and waved to him and János waved back.

"When did you get here?" The strange Hungarian man asked János.
"This morning before sunrise. I walked from the train station during the night."
The man nodded.
"And your name? Are you here to find anyone?"

"János Fodor. No, I'm alone." He answered while trying to keep up with the tall man.

"I'm Elek Vari." He stated, still looking at his feet while he walked. "I was an immigrant 20 years ago, and now I run a boarding house for all immigrants, but mainly Hungarians. I have a few Poles and Czechs as well."

"Boarding house?" János asked wearily.

"It's a place for immigrants to live while they get their life in order. Most come here just like you, with no money, no clothing, no job, and no family."

János looked down at his clothes, embarrassed.

"Don't worry," Elek said calmly, "I was the same way. That's why I do what I do."

They walked together in silence for a few minutes, cutting down corners and leaving Main Street. They entered what looked like a small neighborhood with dainty houses. They reached a larger house that was painted forest green and had a yellow gold door. Elek stopped out in front.

"Here I have a room for you. You have one week to find a job. You will pay $1.50 in rent every Saturday, and in return you have a bed, a washroom, and my wife will cook 3 meals a day. Do you accept my offer?"

Bewildered as to how he could ever say no, he graciously accepted Elek's proposal and followed him inside. The long foyer led to a dining room and kitchen on the right, and a sitting room on the left. Next to the sitting room was the bedroom of Elek and his wife.
Elek pointed out the rooms from the doorway before leading János directly upstairs.
"We have 4 bedrooms upstairs, each with multiple beds. As of right now we have 7 tenants, and you will be our 8th."
János nodded again.
"Here is your room and your bed," Elek said while opening a cream colored door to reveal two small metal-framed beds with thick comforters on top.
"You share this room with a man named Istvan Szabo. He has been here for about two weeks."

János laid his pathetic bag down next to his bed.

"Come back downstairs now, you're just in time for breakfast." Elek smiled warmly.