- summer rain

"have you fallen for me yet?"

≿━━━━༺❀༻━━━━≾
( y / n )

RAIN IN THE SUMMER, HUH? that's the most unlikely thing i've ever heard in the weather forecast. i sucked on a popsicle as i faced the fan with yuuta in front of me, mouth wide open to let the air inside. "yuuta, you're all sweaty from playing outside! don't sit in front of the fan!" mom scolded from the kitchen as she made lunch.

"but it's so hot!" the boy complained, leaning on me like i'm the backrest of a chair. raising an eyebrow, i dangled an unopened popsicle over him, causing yuuta to spring up and reach for the frozen treat but i retreated it, snickering. "if you take a bath, i'll give you this popsicle." i said in a singing tone. yuuta frowned but ended up going upstairs to take a bath.

mom walked over to me and put her hands on her hips, "you're not actually going to give him the popsicle, are you?" she sighed, wiping her hands with the skirt of her dress. i licked the said treat and hummed, "he deserves it. c'mon, cut him some slack." i reasoned, not wanting to be unfair to the 5-year-old.

mom stared at tv that displayed the weather forecast then at the windows, that had sunlight peeking from the curtains. "surprised there's going to be rain. isn't it summer?" she mumbled to herself, i made a noise of agreement, "right? does this mean the summer festival is cancelled?" i asked, taking off the last bit of the popsicle and laying flat on my stomach.

"hmm, i don't want you or yuuta to get sick but i still want you kids to have fun." mom weighed out the options in her head. just as she was about to make a decision, i noticed smoke coming from the kitchen. before i could warn mom, she rushed inside the room and turned off the stove that was making some soup.

"so, are you gonna let us go?" i asked, hopeful. i wanted to drag kusuo along as well as have fun with yuuta so why not do both by going to the summer festival? it's a brilliant idea. besides, it's been a while since yuuta has seen kusuo anyway.

waving her arms around to clear the smoke from the kitchen, mom coughed and turned to look at me, "alright, i'll let you and yuuta go. but as soon as you see signs of a drizzle or anything, you're going straight home, understood?" grinning, i saluted her, "yes, ma'am!"

and with that i knocked on the door of saiki residence, waiting for someone to open it. i was greeted with a bright smile from mrs. saiki who welcomed me in but i quickly declined since my job here was to just invite kusuo to the festival anyway.

"i was just wondering if kusuo was free to go to the summer festival?" i asked, hands clasped together. i already knew the answer since i once saw mrs. saiki dragging her son out, against his own will, to hang out with nendou when he showed up to his house. i think they were going to the beach, or something?