Chapter 11: Fire Drakes Nest

As soon as I awoke in the quiet darkness of early morning, with Azure still sleeping beside me, I felt restless since I had wanted to get started as soon as possible on forming the Drakes Nest.  Unfortunately since it was still dark out, any attempt to go down to the cave right now might result in my quick demise since the Kraken like monster of the falls was awake at this time.

Instead I lay there making mental plans on what I wanted to design.  There was so much potential in that cave complex that I wanted to build.  I knew that such a creature as a Fire Drake would not be satisfied with a similar set up as what was in the low ceilinged and smallish front room.  This was going to be a massive undertaking.  

First off was the room size itself.  It would need to be big enough to contain a nest that would be large enough for the drake to sleep in even fully grown.  Also I intended to build a play area that would have to be at least triple or quadruple the size of the front room.  I knew Drakes could get pretty big and hopefully I’d have a little time before I needed to create a secondary larger entrance for the drake to use for coming in and out.  Oh and don’t forget that the ceiling had to be tall enough for the drake to stand to its full height once fully grown.

“Ugh” This was getting to be a huge headache.  In all honesty I didn’t think that I’d be able to create that big of a cavern unless I had several months and lots of help.  There had to be another alternative.  Thinking back on the few things I knew about caves in my own world, I began to gain an idea.  A smile lit my face as I thought that it just might work, but then again it might not.  It all depended on what was within the Stone itself.

By now the sun had finally begun to rise and Azure herself was getting up to stretch with her claws extending and contracting.  I did not want to be on the wrong side of those.  Getting up for breakfast I made my way to the kitchen with the tiger walking close beside me.

After the many prepared bowls filled with meat and milk as well as the creation of her new more comfy hammock, Azure had finally warmed up to Victoria.  This had cheered the apothecary to no end.  She still wouldn’t let her hold her, but she’d accept a scratching behind the ears and a few other places as well as some teasing.  For the most part though, she stuck by me.

During our breakfast conversation, Victoria told me that she and Monroe were planning a date for later in the afternoon and that she planned to close up the shop by noon. That meant we’d need to pack the usual lunch and maybe even plan our own dinner.

Soon enough, with all the preparations made, together Azure and I set out to the Falls.
*
Reaching our landing out of sight of those observing the falls, we turned to face the cave entrance.  To my surprise two young men were waiting there, each with a small ore cart.  I knew those two, they were Kade’s apprentices.

Crud I thought to myself, I had never really taken the time to remember their names.  “Hey guys, what brings you here?”  I called out with a smile in greeting.  They were both dressed in brownish work pants, sturdy looking boots, and a leather vest over a simple long sleeved shirt.  The taller of the two had light brown hair and while standing was leaning against the stone wall beside my meditation waterfall.  His expression said that he was totally enjoying the mist and breeze that came off the falls.  His companion on the other hand had reddish blonde hair with a slightly grumpy looking expression on his face.  He was the one to answer me.

“Our master said that we were to take a break for a week from the smith and help you with your digging.”  He seemed to say this in a huff.  Then the other young man casually spoke up.  “Thomas here is upset that our master feels we will be more help here working with you rather than refining our own blacksmithing skills at his forge.”  With a soft laugh he continued.  “Thomas has never seen what you can since he comes on the other days when you are gone, but I personally think there is much to be learned from you.  So please let us be of help.”