Chapter 3

I walked downstairs. "Mum, are there any Belgian waffles left?" I asked her. I loved Belgian waffles, they were absolutely amazing. Every time I took a bite, it was as if I had already died and went to heaven.

"No, you ate the last one yesterday, remember?" Her voice was monotonous. It was probably because she wasn't really interested in what I was saying due to the 'Daily Telegraph' newspaper in her hands.

My mum had tanned skin, just like me. Her glasses wrapped around her round head and her dark brown hair was wavy and luscious. Her lips were plump like mine. As she focused on the newspaper, her thin eyebrows creased and her lips began to form a hard line. I had gotten most of my looks from my mother. Instead of hazel, my mother's eyes were similar to Angela's: orange surrounded by olive green. I would kill to have those eyes. Also, wrinkles had started to appear on my mother's skin.

"I'm going to the bakery to buy some snacks. I'll be back in about 15 minutes." I told her. She nodded. I headed out the door and walked to the local bakery. I had been craving a waffle and a red velvet cake since I left school. As I walked in, I froze as I laid my eyes on that all too familiar short, dark hair and built figure. Brad.

Robot-like, I walked up to the counter and quietly stood behind him, hoping that he wouldn't feel my presence. It was going well until Jenna, the baker who was about in her mid-30s, ruined it when she laid eyes on me. "Andrea!" She semi-yelled. "How are you?" As soon as she said this, Brad turned to me with a huge smirk plastered on his face. Wow, thanks a lot Jenna.

"I'm fine." I smiled, trying my hardest not to glare at her.

"I'll be with you in a sec."

"Okay." I looked around, avoiding eye contact with Brad as much as possible. He wouldn't take the hint, though.

"Hey, Andrea." He smiled, and what a beautiful smile it was. I cleared my throat. "Hi, Brad." My voice was clearly monotonous as I still looked around the room- everywhere except where he was standing.

"You know it's rude not to give eye contact when you're talking to someone, right?" Oh, I know. But, you know it's rude to lead someone on and then get a girlfriend when they actually fall for you, right? I wanted to say. Badly.

"Oh. Erm, sorry." He chuckled.

"Andrea, can I ask you something?" He looked a bit nervous. What was wrong?

"Sure." I said, my confusion in my voice was clear as I spoke.

"Why have you become so distant all of a sudden? You used to be so fun to talk to." My eyes widened as those words escaped his lips.

"Er...erm...uh..." I was speechless. I had no idea what to say.

"Andrea." I heard Jenna chime. "What would you like?" I sighed in relief as Jenna had saved me. I knew it wouldn't last very long, though.

"Can I get a Belgian waffle and a slice of red velvet cake, please?"

"Sure, coming right up."

I turned around slowly, to see Brad still staring at me. I looked at his hands and saw that he had bought some chocolate chip cookies.

"You know when you finish buying what you came to buy, you're supposed to leave the shop. Right?" I remarked.

"Yeah, I know. But I'm waiting for you to answer my question." For once, I knew he was actually serious. His famous smirk had retreated and was now replaced with a thin, hard line.

"I d-don't want to have this conversation, Brad." Why wasn't my food ready yet?

"Why not? Did I-"

"Andrea, your order's ready." Finally. I payed for my snacks and waved goodbye to Jenna. I walked out of the shop to find Brad still following me.

"As I was saying. Did I do something wrong?" He was persistent. A bit too persistent. The more he spoke, the more angry I got.

"We are not going to have this conversation." I bit my bottom lip, restraining myself from saying something that I will definitely regret later on.

"Andrea." He grabbed my arm and made me face him. "Just say it. What's the worst that could happen?" I couldn't hold it in any longer.

"You. Broke. My. Heart." I growled. "You led me on. I thought you liked me, then when I fell for you, you got yourself a girlfriend. I shouldn't have been so stupid. I should've just ignored you every time you called for me in class and smiled at me when I looked at you. I should've ignored you when you played with my hair. I should've turned away every time you looked me in the eye. But I didn't, and I'm an idiot for that. Brad, please. Just never speak to me again. I'm begging you."

I was shivering. My eyes were squeezed shut as my breathing laboured, trying my hardest not to burst into tears right there and then.

Slowly, I opened my eyes. "Goodbye, Brad." I ran, not daring to look at him. I didn't stop until I was outside my house. I unlocked the door and raced to my room. I threw my snacks on my bed. "I don't even want them anymore." I mumbled. I'll just put them in the fridge and save them for tomorrow.

I closed my room door and slid down it, crouching. My head was in front of my knees and I buried my face in them, sobbing. I stayed there for a while before I got up and took out my phone. 10 minutes? 20? 30? I honestly didn't have a clue about how long I was in that position, but my back was killing me.

If someone told me that I would do this before, I would laugh at them. But right now, only his voice would mollify me.

I found his name in my contact list and called him. After two rings, he answered. "Hello?" His tranquillising voice brought me into euphoria.

"Theo." I faintly smiled and suspired.