Chapter 7 - Dancing in the Afterglow

Lottie's Point of View

"It's only half past eight, so that leaves me plenty of time to determine officially what there is left to be done," I explained. "So much of that is riding on the decision of which island this will all take place. Once I can figure that out, at least, then I can work everything else out."

My voice was the only sound to strike the air as Uncle Lyle and I hustled together through the hall to return to our offices, with the exception of the clicking and tapping of our shoes against the hard floor. We had just departed from the break room after warming our souls with a mug of white tea for me and a cup of black coffee for him. As we traveled briskly towards our destination under the fluorescent lights that sent shines across the white floor, the warmth still dwelled in my chest and my feet were propelled forward with the motivation to begin the day.

"Hmm," Uncle Lyle mumbled in response. Even after gulping down an entire cup of coffee, he still didn't seem to have much energy to keep a conversation going. I was mostly just organizing my thoughts, anyway.

"In the meantime, there's still something that I can do," I went on. "I still need to prepare the application forms and the interviews for the position of my assistant in this project. First, today, I'm going to document the questions needed for the form and then I'll be able to promote it to the public interested."

"Mm-hmm?" Uncle Lyle prompted dully. Together, we rounded the corner into the hall where our offices stood on the left.

"That's right," I agreed. "As soon as I make copies and release the template online, then I'll have a firm date on when interviews will begin. I plan to handle all of it, like I said, but it's very likely that it'll take away from my current schedule. For the sake of preparation, I would say that the interview process takes precedence over what I would have been doing otherwise."

A flurry of footsteps behind us appeared only to come to an immediate halt. Before either of us could have had the time to turn around, Digby's voice addressed me.

"Lottie?" Digby spoke up from behind me.

I paused in my stride towards my office to turn back and look at him to find him hurrying across the hall to reach me. A shudder of nerves sharply descended my stomach, which I quickly masked behind a bright smile.

"Hi. Sorry, just a minute," Digby apologized in greeting as he slowed to a stop within conversation range. The lights beaming down upon us shimmered in his beautiful chocolate-brown eyes. "I'm glad I caught you. I hope I'm not interrupting something."

"What can I do for you, Digby?" I inquired, politely folding my paws together in front of me. Uncle Lyle, clearly anxious to return to his office, was already scratching at his head and sneaking a glance towards his door about three feet ahead of us.

"Actually, I've got some great news," Digby announced, shifting to casually slip his paws into his pockets. "Well... It probably should have happened sooner, but I think it's great. Lately, I've been doing a lot of research and calling around to find the best place for Happy Home Paradise to source from after you put me to that task. Admittedly, I didn't have very much luck until now, but this morning, I might have found the perfect place."

The last segment caught Uncle Lyle's attention as he jolted back to face him again.

"Oh!" I exclaimed. Instantly, images had begun to filter through my mind of the place he spoke of, already racing to figure out what I would see. An endless patch of swaying grass, a lane of broken-down and abandoned houses, the possibilities were limitless. "Yes, that's great! Please tell me more."