Chapter 20

The conversation I had with Dr. Morrison followed me around like an impending torrential downpour. I hated starting the night in a bad mood. I was grateful that Carrie appeared to be in a decent mood for the first time since I had been working there, thank goodness for small favors. I was equally pleased that each of my patients had no acute episodes over the dayshift, everyone seemed to be in a pleasant mood. Everyone except me.

I didn't do a good job hiding my disdain for the day, but I couldn't help it, nor did I really care. I was so off put by the conversation that Dr. Morrison and I had shared, it seemed so wrong, so corrupt. How did I find myself in this situation? I should have listened to James, he had been right, he had advised against this. James, I wish I could ask him for advice, he would know how to handle the situation professionally, but I couldn't I was bound by HIPPA. Ashley was another person I wish I could confide in, but I couldn't. I suddenly felt terribly homesick and wished that I had stayed in the memory care facility. Could I reach out to my recruiter Sarah? She might be able to give good advice. She might have dealt with situations like this before. Had other travelers that had signed up for contracts at Shelbyville faced the same peril as I did? Or was I simply the only person with a conscious?

"You're distracted," Stacey observed. He was holding his hand out to take his medicine and my mind was a thousand miles away.

"No, I'm not, I'm waiting for you to recite your date of birth," I defended. He recited his birthday and I handed him his medicine.

"You are, I wasn't born two years ago," he smirked. It took a moment for the realization of his words to sink in.

"I know who you are, besides I'm not in any mood for your games today," I huffed.

"You and the boyfriend fighting?"

"My personal life is none of your business." He opened his mouth to display he had swallowed the pills and wasn't hoarding them anywhere in the confines of his oral mucosa.

"Oh, but mine is right?" He handed me the cup back.

"Excuse me?" I asked not sure what he was referring to, not sure that I cared, at least I shouldn't, I should know better than to try and engage in any sort of game he was trying to play.

"Should I throw water on you again to refresh your memory? Or does that happen a lot to you and you already forgot?" His tone was calm and his eyes were equally tranquil. The gold in his eyes resembled warm honey being drizzled into a steaming cup of tea. His mood was too good to be true, what was he up to? I knew better than to think that his interrogations were anything pure and simple. He wasn't trying to make polite conversation and he wasn't genuinely concerned with my well-being; he was scheming something; I just didn't know what.

"I know what you're referring to."

"And?"

"And what? I don't have to answer it."

"Mhmm....interesting."

"What's interesting?" I asked suddenly regretting the sharpness in my voice.

"You're right you don't have to answer, just like I don't have to cooperate if I don't want to, right? I can choose to be the biggest pain in your ass and force you to call your boyfriend up here every time it's time for med pass and you have to sit there silently in fear if I'm going to let him hold me down or put up a right." His gold eyes were suddenly shiny and ablaze, I knew his good mood wouldn't last for long, he was explosive and unpredictable.

"He's not my boyfriend," I retorted dumbly.

"That's it? That's all you have to say?" He laughed. It sounded maniacal and echoed around us in the room. I should have been scared, but I wasn't I was angry at the way he taunted him. I was frustrated with how everyone at this job including myself doubted my skills and abilities as a nurse. I was mad that no one took me seriously, everyone underestimated me.