Chapter 5: The frog princess

Pinaki dropped the frog in the darkest, most distant corner of his room, before climbing into bed.

"But Prince Pinaki," said the frog. "You promised I could sleep on your silken pillow."
Pinaki didn't answer.
"If you don't let me," the frog threatened, "I'll tell your mother."

"I've had enough!" snapped Pinaki. "You're the meanest, ugliest, most horrible frog I've ever met."

"What's more," he added, "if you mention my promise one more time, I'll throw you out of the window."
"No you won't," said the frog. "You wouldn't dare. You promise!"

"I do dare," said Pinaki. In a fury, he strode over to the frog, picked her up and threw her out of his window.

There was a long silence, followed by a loud splat. Pinaki suddenly realized what he'd done. He was horrified.
"Frog? Say something!"

"I hope I haven't killed her," he prayed, and raced down the stairs as fast as his legs could carry him.

Outside, the frog was lying sprawled on the palace lawn. Pinaki picked her up, as gently as he could.

"Are you all right?" he whispered.

"Yes," croaked the frog, carefully feeling her head.
"I didn't mean to hurt you," said Pinaki. "I'm so sorry." And he bent down and kissed her.

There was a loud crash of thunder, followed by a shower of sparks. The frog had vanished. In her place stood a beautiful young princess.

"At last!" shouted the Princess. "I'm human again. No more slimy skin, no more webbed feet, no more flies..."

One by one, the place windows flew open and everyone looked out.
"What's going on?" yelled the Queen. "I'm coming down."

"What happened to you?" Pinaki asked the Princess.
"A wicked wizard cast an evil spell on me," she said. "I could only become human again if a prince kissed me."

"So it's because of me that you're a princess again?" said Pinaki, feeling rather proud.

"Well, yes," said the Princess, "but you did throw me out of the window first."
"Still," said Pinaki, "there aren't many princes who would kiss a frog."
"That's true. How can I make it up to you?" asked the Princess.
"Well... you could marry me." replied Pinaki.

"Excuse me," said Princess Harinaksa, "but Pinaki is going to marry ME."

"No I'm not," said Pinaki. "It hasn't been arranged yet. And Mommy, you did say I could find my own princess."

"That's true, said the Queen, with a sigh.
"In that case," said the Princess, getting down on one knee. "if you promise not to throw me out of the window again..."
"I promise." replied Pinaki.

"...Prince Pinaki, will you marry me?"
"I will," said Pinaki.
And he did.

—The End—