kagerou daze

(Inspired by the song by Jin that the title of this chapter is from)

(TW: Multiple deaths caused by accidents, most noteworthy ones being traffic accidents and construction accidents. Depictions of blood.)

It was August 15th at 5:30 A.M when Yosano's alarm went off that day. The sun was up before her, though, and it's red glow along with the alarm clock's glow were the only things to illuminate her room. The clock emitted it's ear-grating beeps, and in the blink of an eye Yosano's arm shot out and turned it off.

The room was silent for a few seconds until she rustled under her blanket and groggily got up. She let out a sleepy groan and stretched her back. She rubbed sleep out of her eye. She yawned. Then, she swung her feet over the bed and made her way to the window and pulled back the curtains, and the sun said hello.

She got ready for another day at the Armed Detective Agency. She changed into her business attire and situated her purse and lunch and headed out the door. But as she swung the door open to leave, she was hit with an unexpectedly humid air that stifled her for a second. It was August, right smack in the middle of summer, so of course it was going to be very humid. She frowned. The heat was uncomfortable, and she wasn't even fully out of her house yet. So she went back inside and found a popsicle to eat on her way to work. Hopefully the pink popsicle would help alleviate the heat.

It wasn't soon after her walk to the Armed Detective Agency that she surprisingly met up with Kunikida on the way.

"Yo," Yosano casually saluted with her popsicle. "Going a different way to work today or something?"

Yosano and Kunikida were now walking side by side with each other, their footsteps quickly falling into sync. "Unfortunately. The way I normally go is closed due to the summer parade."

"Oh, that's today?" Yosano remarked thoughtfully. "Too bad we're missing it. It should be illegal to be required to go to work during the summer." She sighed.

It was only 6:00 A.M, but the sky was already bright. The sun was just above the top of the ocean and casted a mellow yellow glow upon everything. Yosano wasn't excited for the time of day when the sun was at its highest peak. That would mean it would be even more hot than it already was.

She decided to pointlessly make a remark about the humidity.

"The news said that today will be the most humid day of the year," Kunikida responded.

"That's why I brought a popsicle," Yosano said.

"I see."

A black cat languidly made its way in front of the two, causing them to pause their walk. "How cute!" Exclaimed Yosano and she knelt down to pet the cat. She extended her arm toward the cat, and the cat flinched. Yosano thought it would run away, but surprisingly, it eagerly put it's head in the palm of her hand. She smiled and rubbed underneath its neck and behind its ears, and the cat purred and looked like it was smiling.

Kunikida was silent until now. "I'm not too fond of summer." He said brazenly.

"Is that so?" Yosano responded, not looking up from the cat. "I kinda thought you'd be a summer dude."

"I'm more partial to spring, instead." Then, he said, "We should get going."

As if the cat was obeying Kunikida's suggestion, it suddenly darted away like a shadow. "Wait!" Yosano cried and followed after it.