Prologue

Dear Jisu,

Today is July 4, 2019. A week ago I heard you're gonna move to Canada, is that true? How long will you stay there? Are you gonna live there forever? What about me?..

Can you please just stay? I will miss you so much, Jisu. More than you would ever know. Please don't go.. we can grow old together in Jeju island, why do you need to go to Canada? You can help uncle gummie in the store if you need a job.

I know I can't be selfish, but I can't help to beg you through this letter. I can't show myself, I don't know how. But Jisu, I'm begging you to stay. I love you so much..

More than just a friend, Jisu.

I can't tell why I like you, how I liked you but I did. Please tell me you feel the same way? Let's love each other in this island please? Don't go.. I want to hold you in my arms until we fall asleep under the tree, and we wouldn't be able to do that if you're gone. I don't want to sit in this tree alone, please come here today. I'll wait for you, Jisu.

I'll always wait for you under this tree, lay your head on my lap as we look at the beautiful view in Jeju. This is our place, Jisu. Not in Canada, or anywhere around the world. It's your home in Jeju.

Love,
Yeji.

A teardrop escaped my eye as I read the words letter by letter. "Honey? Better start preparing your things. We don't want to miss our flight tomorrow, or worse, missing Yeji's wedding. It's a big day for your best friend isn't?"

I was interrupted when my dad spoke from the bathroom. Hearing those words about Yeji's wedding breaks me into pieces, when I thought I have moved on but I can't help to shed tears after reading this letter.

"Right, hone— are you okay?" Dad got out of the bathroom and quickly kneeled down in front of me. He took the paper from my hand and read some of it and later on pulled me into a hug. "hey.. it's okay honey.. it's been years now, I'm sure you'll meet someone." Dad mumbled while rubbing my back as I cry on his shoulder.

If only I had an idea of how much Yeji loved me, and if only I showed her my affection towards her, maybe then it was us who ended up together. But we were a fool, we really were.

Jeju isn't my home. But her being there makes it feel like one, she was my comfort zone. She was my home. My home in Jeju.

—🍙