Ch. 12

Hours passed, and Mike and the others were all hanging out at the mall; each sat at a table with different snacks. Mike and Giselle decided on a single cookie while Ruby ate a rock candy. Jacob didn't have a snack; he was eating a full meal. Hamburger, hotdogs, fries. He kept offering to the others, but they kept declining.

"Dude!" Exclaimed Jacob, "you're a goofy skater!"

"I am not!" Mike argued, a smile on his face.

Ruby threw a piece of candy at him, "it's the way you're turned when skating. There's normal, and then there's goofy. You are a goofy skater, but that doesn't mean you skate goofy. It just means you skate a little differently than other people."

Mike stared at her for a bit, perplexed with the new information, before mumbling a quiet "oh" under his breath.

"The mall will be closing in 30 minutes. Please head to the doors shortly."

Mike choked on his cookie, "it's almost 7!" The others looked at him in alarm as he rushed to grab his trash. "I need to get going. I-Fuck! I am so dead." He pulled out his phone and noticed multiple missed calls and texts. Confusingly, he also noticed that they had stopped nearly an hour ago.

"Huh?" He looks up at the others, "do you all think you could help me get back home? I don't really know my way around this place yet, so?"

They all nodded as Jacob jumped down from the top of the table, wrapping his arm around his shoulders. "Yea, man! We know all about sneaking around curfews and the cops and-"

Giselle punched him on the arm, "ow!"

"Shut up!" They hissed.

Mike smiled, leaning around to look at them. "Don't worry. I know my way around cops and the government as well."

"The government?" Ruby asked incredulously.

Mike gave them a smirk, "when I get more comfortable with you. Then, I'll reveal my secrets."

They all stared before Giselle started giggling, "alright, Mikey. You got us on that one."

They all headed to the busy streets, and Ruby looked over. "Do you know your address?"

Mike looked away with a nervous laugh, "not really..."

"Ok?" She drawled, "are there any specific places you noticed on the way here?"

"Um.."

Giselle sighed, "why not head back to the skate park and start from there? Jog your memory?"

Mike and the others agreed and headed off in that direction.

It took nearly 15 minutes, and Mike instantly set off to the left.

"I guess we're going this way," Jacob muttered as the others followed to catch up.

"Know where you're going?" Ruby asked.

"Nope," he answered with a little pop, "I just know I came from this way."

They stopped at a crosswalk, and he hesitated.

"Well?" Jacob drawled in a questioning tone. "Any ideas?"

Mike opened and closed his mouth as he looked back and forth. Multiple people pushed past him and the others, some literally pushing them.

"I know I crossed the road at some point. But I also know I turned a corner somewhere near here. Maybe I take another left?" He started in that direction until Giselle pulled him back.