Chapter 42

In New York majority of the time it's cold. And not just chilly breezy cold, but frostbite cold. Conveniently for me it was the perfect get away with wearing a turtleneck without being questioned. I don't usually wear turtlenecks simply because my neck heats up and I start sweating, even when it's cold. I know, weird but who cares? Anyway, I was going to wear a cute dress I bought the other day since it was the first day back at school, but when I went to cover my...erm...curling iron burns? I realised that I ran out of concealer forcing me to cover it another way.

Last night they were just red little marks but when I woke up this morning and went to brush my teeth, those red little marks turned a deep purple over night. That's also when I made my mind up to literally kill Mason Gregory Black. Not literally of course, who else would I bully? Except everyone else, but that's besides the point.

"Come on kiddo you're already late!" Dad called from the bottom of the stairs as I let out a loud groan and slipped on my fluffy coat before putting on one of my boots. Unfortunately, I couldn't rush getting my cast off of my leg so I'm still stuck with it for this entire week.

"Coming!" I yelled back as I made sure my turtleneck was covering what needed to be covered before grabbing my school back and crutches. I hopped out of my room and towards the stairs before throwing my bag down just for dad to catch it while rolling his eyes at me.

Once I reached the bottom of the stairs, the two of us left the house and quickly got in the car trying to avoid as much rain as possible.

"I forgot..." I started but was soon cut off by dad handing me a baseball cap. "You're a life saver." I giggled at the unintended pun because he really does literally save lives.

"You know you don't need to wear it, you look perfectly fine." He reassured as I snorted and rolled my eyes.

"You're forced to say that because you're my dad and I'm only wearing it till my hair grows a bit more." I shrugged. Right now my hair reaches my earlobe which is a lot longer than I expected but it's still a horrid mess especially with the curls. It's like I have the head of a new born baby!

The drive was quite quick considering the time and typical New York traffic, and before I knew it was walking down the hallway of James Maddison high two months later.

"You're back?" I heard a familiar voice ask as I closed my locker and turned around to see Ethan standing a couple inches away from me.

"I am." I bluntly said, recalling our last interaction. "How's the nose?" I pettily asked as he clenched his jaw while his hold on his backpack strap tightened.

"I don't know what your problem is or why I even wanted to go out with you in the first place." He scoffed as I rolled my eyes. "You're a fucking bitch anyway." He sneered as I narrowed my eyes at him and took a step forward.

"What is it with boys and their inability to take rejection? Move on Ethan, I won't say it again." I said before turning around and walking off.

"Your moms a nice woman." He said as I froze in my steps and snapped my head in his direction. He gave me a dirty smirk before turning around and disappearing into the crowd before I had the chance to snap his neck.

Did he just...? He just did didn't he? But how? Where? Why? What?!

Snapping out of my crowded thoughts, I turned around and continued walking to my first lesson. I was supposed to meet my friends at Kade's locker but my mind is occupied with thoughts that shouldn't be there. I can give a hundred and one reasons why Ethan shouldn't even know Annabelle's existence, forget meet her or know her as a person. I can't seem to think of one good enough reason why he of all people would converse with her of all people.