Chapter 3

The rest of the meal is eaten in silence

The rest of the meal is eaten in silence. I always eat in silence, but that's because I'm always alone. I wonder if this family talks under normal circumstances.

When the bowls are empty, the men rise and depart and I feel brave enough to ask if I can help. The woman shoves a broomstick in my hands and points at the floor. Yes, I can do that.

Outside a soft breeze rustles the leaves of the trees around us. Birds sing and some chickens cluck. I take a deep breath and relish the fresh air. Even though I visit many places, I do not often get to enjoy the healthy outdoors. I should make the most of this, as long as I can.

When the thought of not being able to find the silver dot I need, hits me, I quickly resume my sweeping. I can't think like that. I have to find the dot and I have to return home.

The sudden voice of the woman startles me when she asks: "What is your name?"

I open my mouth, close it again and then say: "It might be difficult to pronounce in your language. It's Jane Young, I guess I should say Young Jane, since you say the surname first."

The woman purses her lips and then says, with a slight rise at the end: "Yeong Jin?"

I guess it's close enough. The words I recognize, the meanings are various, but in the whole they're positive.

It's when I hear the woman mumble something about it being a boy's name, that I hastily search for an alternative. "Ehm... no, Ji-Eun, Yeong Ji-Eun, nice to meet you." I make a bow to hide my flustered expression.

To this, the woman smiles. She really smiles and I get a warm, fuzzy feeling inside. It's been so long since someone smiled at me like that. I almost wish I could stay a little longer.

Like he heard my thoughts and decides to smash my wishes, the son walks back inside and says: "Come with me." He has a sword in his hand and on his back rests a straw hat. In contrast to his parents and me, his outfit is completely black. It's clear to me he isn't simply a farmer. The band he has around his head is tied with a knot at the back and instead of a topknot he wears his hair in a high ponytail. Part of it hangs over the headband and almost covers his right eye. On the whole it makes him look fierce and dangerous, probably exactly what he is going for.

Is he taking me back to the place where he found me? Or did he change his mind and is he going to kill me? I don't think I have a choice, so I hand over the broom to my gracious host, bow one last time and follow the man who saved me out of his house.

The house is protected from unwanted animals by a low wall. The courtyard is square, with the house on one side and a few open sheds on the other. The shed I was in when I woke up this morning is next to the gate, the door is ajar and judging from the sounds inside, I guess the old man is working there. Perhaps he is rearranging the mess I made of the straw. Ashamed I lower my head.

---

The walk is long and silent. We are surrounded by nothing more than trees. Does no one else reside in these woods? We pass a stream with clear water, gently flowing over gray rocks, their smooth surfaces glistening in the sunlight. Proof that people do live here is in the low bricks that form natural looking borders next to sandy, well-travelled paths.