Chapter 14

My heartbeat falters

With her hands together, Chin-Hwa then says, as if she's bestowing upon him a great honor: "Then let me introduce you, this is my dear friend: Yeong Ji-Eun, she is from Yuleob, have you heard of it?"

I see him swallow difficultly upon hearing my name, yet his face remains stoic. "I believe I have, my lady."

"You have? How wonderful, you must accompany us back to the house and tell us all about it. Ji-Eun-eonni can't tell me much, for she can't remember."

His eyes flash my way and back again and silently he bows his head again. "Permit me to inform my officer, then I will do as you bid me."

As soon as he is out of hearing distance, I grab onto Chin-Hwa's arm and beg: "Please, lets not bother him anymore. We have a guard, he clearly wants to remain here and practice more."

Chin-Hwa, unperturbed by my desperate plea, pats my hand and begins to walk back to the litter. "Don't worry yourself, Ji-Eun-eonni, every one of those men are dying to be chosen to accompany us back to the house. And see", she waves in the direction of the field, "they are clearly finished already."

She's right. The swords are sheathed and the remaining men have formed straight lines. While Gi-Kyong trots our way, the others take off in the opposite direction.

All the way back to the gama I keep my head down, very aware of the extra set of footsteps behind us. It's as if I can feel his gaze on my back. His eyes bore holes in the fabric of my white jeogory. What is he thinking right now? Does he think I'm here voluntarily? Oh how I wish I could talk to him in private.

We step into the litter and I feel nausea rising when the servants pick it up. Chin-Hwa opens the little sliding window, so we can see Gi-Kyong walking next to us. I'm glad she sits between us and doesn't see my face while she asks him questions about Yuleob. I nearly choke when I hear him telling her about the hundreds of little houses stacked on top of each other.

When it's obvious he can't tell us much more than that, Chin-Hwa is a little disappointed and leans back. I inhale and dare a glance to the side. My heart is working overtime when I see the precious lines of his face. His jaw is set and his lips tightly pressed together, but it's him and since I'd given up all hope of ever looking in his eyes again, this feels like heaven to me.

We reach the house way too soon and I have to watch him bow and walk away with a bleary vision. Chin-Hwa, again misunderstanding me, pats me on the arm again and whispers: "Don't worry, I will make sure you'll see him again. He's very handsome, isn't he. A little too pretty for my taste, I like them a bit sturdier, but I can understand what you see in him. Just make sure my father doesn't find out we were at the practice grounds."

Oh, I can promise her that. I will never do anything that might jeopardize Gi-Kyong. He changed his name, I mustn't forget that, he called himself On Min-Woo. Probably to protect his parents. I like the meaning of the names he chose: clever, sharp, and protection, divine intervention; it sure feels that way.