Chapter 13

From that moment on, I am forced to play the part of a happy companion and either my acting skills are amazing, or Chin-Hwa is too self-absorbed to notice, but there are no repercussions for the sorrow that must be apparent in my eyes

Every day I miss Gi-Kyong more, every moment my heart yearns for him. I cry myself to sleep nine out of ten times, but no one ever asks why my eyes are puffy in the morning.

Chin-Hwa waits patiently until I'm able to walk again and after a whole month away from home, I'm finally allowed out of the house. Arm in arm with Chin-Hwa I slowly walk across the courtyard, listening to her babbling along about some jewelry she found on the market the other day.

I'm only half listening. What do I care about jewelry?

My hair is slightly longer, but nowhere near long enough to braid. I've been given a headband that has a silken flower on top, which keeps the curls out of my face. It matches the dark purple skirt I'm wearing. My jeogori is also made from silk and it has a long ribbon that hangs down the right side. It's more expensive than anything I've ever worn, yet I'd rather wear the simple clothing I'd been given by Mrs. Ho a million times over.

The first time I'm allowed out of the compound, the guard follows us. I don't think I can run already, but my chances of escape are nonexistent with him trailing us.

It's market day and everyone seems to know Kim Chin-Hwa. They all bow when she walks by, but they stare at me the most. Chin-Hwa has her arm tightly pulled though mine and drags me from one stall to the next. Everywhere I hear people whisper and for once I'm happy about it. News must travel about the girl with the pale eyes. It'll surely reach Gi-Kyong, if he hasn't already given up on me.

Hopefulness battles fear inside me, when I think about him coming here, because there's no way Mr. Kim is going to let me go without a fight. And he has a private army at his disposal.

---

The week passes and summer reaches it's hottest days without any sign of the man I still love. Until one day a new contingent of soldiers marches through town and I see a familiar pair of eyes flicker my way.

It's only a moment, but I freeze and almost trip because Chin-Hwa pulls me along. She eyes me curiously and turns her head at the soldiers that march on. "Did you see anyone you know? Ji-Eun-eonni?"

My eyes are glued to the shoulders and hats of the soldiers that now round a corner. Right at the last moment, one of them turns his head. Then he's gone.

Could it be? Didn't my eyes deceive me? My heart is hammering in my chest and I want to pick up my skirt and run after him, but instead I bury my emotions deep down and shake my head. With only a little tremor I answer: "No, no, I was just ... amazed, at the soldiers. They all look so ... fierce."

Giggling like a schoolgirl, Chin-Hwa hides her lips behind her hand. "They look amazing, don't they? Those are my fathers newest men. Shall we go to the ground where we can watch them train? Perhaps they will even let us practice archery with them."