the eulogy of truth

old people expect us to not know anything until they need us to know everything. you want us to nod our heads silently because the outdated, biased information is more important that the common truth you refuse to believe. you cut us off. put words in our mouths. establish us as disrespectful when we return the favor. you want us to talk, but not too loud, not too quiet, not too liberally, not too conservatively, not too factual, not too fictitious, not too open-mindedly, not too close-mindedly. we get quiet: "they're depressed." we get loud: "they're hooligans". However, let's flip the script. You sit and try to tell me something you learned today and I cut you off and insult your intellectuality and I claim that you are disrespectful as you try to establish your argument, which I keep deflecting off of because I keep under-cutting everything you say and putting words in your mouth until you are so thoroughly frustrated that all you can do is look that pole that looks like it can hold your body weight for as long as it needs to. Until the job is done, and this feeling of the fact that you are nothing because of my ego and your age. You old people wouldn't like that. Would you?