Chapter 16: Im Sorry...

It was around 3 a.m, when you were awoken in the hospital. Doctors and nurses all scrambled in the room, making you and Sal jump awake.

"What's going on?!" You asked frantically, rubbing your eyes as you remembered last night.

"James heart rate is very high. And he is still not responsive.", a doctor explained to you as they messed with some equipment.

"Will he be okay?" Sal asked, while he rubbed your back.

"We don't know."

''You don't know?' You thought, 'yesterday you said he had a high chance of survival!' You immediately burst out into tears and Sal comforted you.

"It'll be alright." He rubbed your arm as you cried into his chest.

You wiped your tears and walked over to the bed where Jimmy was laying.

You held his limp hand, "Jimmy. I'm so sorry. I could've done more."

...

After talking alone to Jimmy, you decided to go to lunch with Sal. You needed a break from all the sadness. You hated to see Jimmy in that condition.

After lunch, you wanted to go fishing. You wanted to catch a fish and name it after Jimmy in his honor.

After a few catches, you went back to the hospital. Jimmy was still in a coma. His mother was there.

"Are you Y/N? Jimmy's told me a lot about you." She turned to you, "and you must be Sal. So nice to meet you both."

She was distraught and was sobbing. She sat in a chair holding Jimmy's hand.

"Jimmy, dear, please get better. Your father and I need you here with us. Clara needs you here with her." She mumbled through tears.

She eventually had to leave the room before it became too much for her. Sal also left the room, as he wanted to give me alone time with Jimmy.

Your eyes started to well up with tears as you spoke to Jimmy, "Jimmy, I need you to know that I love you. I never really told you. I know you can't hear me, but Clara is in good hands with us. It's okay if you want to leave. I love you, so I have to let you go.", you wiped your eyes, "I remember that ball we went to-" you sighed and rolled your lips, "it was the best time of my life. You really knew how to dance", You giggled, "I must say, I was really surprised. I'll never forget that day for the rest of my life." You bent over and gave Jimmy a kiss on his forehead, just before Sal came walking back into the room.

"The doctors need him soon. We should probably head out for the day." He suggested, so you both said your goodbyes to Jimmy and left the hospital.

...

Later that evening, you wanted to spend the rest of the night by yourself, so you laid in bed and watched tv, read a book, and scrolled on your phone. It was hard trying to get your mind off things.

It was around 10:30 when you fell asleep while reading a book. You were just so exhausted from the entire day.

...

You jumped awake around 4 a.m. when you heard Sal run into the other room. He slammed the door behind him.

"What could be so important that he's slamming doors at 4 am?", You thought to yourself, getting up out to bed to go check it out.

He was in the Kitchen, leaning against the island. He was too stunned to speak. His phone was glued to his ear.  When you walked in, he didn't even turn to look at you. The person on the other end of the phone was talking, he nodded and turned to you.

"Babe, its for you." He whispered softly and handed you the phone.

"Who is this?" You put the phone to your ear.

"This is the Manhattan hospital. James Fallon put you down on his emergency contact. This is Doctor Walsh."

"So....what's happened now? Is there any updates?"

"Im sorry you have to hear this from me. He passed just a few minutes ago. I'm sorry for your loss. I can provide you with grief services and groups to help you deal with this loss."

Your hand flew to your mouth, "No. No. No. No. No!" Your quiet whispers became loud sobs, "No!", Your world came crashing down.

Sal ran over and wrapped you in his arms.

"I'm sorry, my love. I'm here."

"Thanks for telling us.", He took the phone from you since you were unable to speak, "Should we head over?"

"I'm sorry, but it's very hectic here. The coroner is here."

The phone call ended and you cried yourself back to sleep.