Chapter 4

Remus tried not to cringe as he silently slipped into the throne room. His entrance probably would have not gone unnoticed as it had if not for the yelling already taking place, drowning out the sound. The only souls in sight were his father, his mother, and the crown prince himself who cried out in a way that was quite unbecoming of royalty- even by Remus' standards.

"I'm sorry! I didn't mean to!" he nearly wailed, trying, and failing, to hold back tears. Remus could tell my the way his jaw was clenched and his nails dug into his palms in attempt to ground himself. Remus found it quite uncomfortable to watch his brother in this state. It was one thing seeing Roman angry or behaving much like a brat when things did not go this way, but before him was a scared and guilty child more than a prince.

"You didn't mean to? What were you thinking!" Romulus yelled back. "Honestly Roman, I'm inclined to believe you were not thinking at all! And you expect me to allow you to go galavanting halfway around the world to chase a fairytale? Absolutely not!"

"But I already told her I would!" Roman argued, blinking away tears. The redness in his face faded just a little as he gained back some control. "I was trying to save our kingdom!"

"You are a prince, Roman! A silly child! If you wanted to protect your kingdom then you should have thought of that before you let your foolish little head," he hissed the words in a way that made Remus flinch, Roman more so, "walk you straight into-"

"Romulus!" The queen scolded, placing a hand on her husband's arm. "Can't you see he's just a boy! Our boy," she stressed. She moved to stand by Roman's side, placing a hand on his lower back. "He's made a mistake, Romulus, but he is trying to make amends. He's scared and ill prepared." She sighed heavily. "Roman must go, or we face death and destruction beyond that of the last war. We can't afford to fight the same battle our ancestors did. Our boy is leaving us. We should not be reprimanding him. He will learn plenty of his mistakes on his journey. We should be cherishing every moment we have."

Remus hated the way she said that. Cherish every moment they have. As if he wouldn't return. As if they didn't believe in him. Remus and Roman fought a lot. Most of the time it was in private, or in small, intimate ways that went altogether unnoticed by others in their presence. Perhaps it was the squabbling that gave Remus insight to his twin's determination, skill, and reasoning. As for his ability to defend thyself, Roman's swordsmanship was likely one of the best in the kingdom.

Perhaps the only places where Remus excelled over Roman was battle strategy and what was often coined as 'street smarts'. Roman wasn't as ill prepared as his parents implied. Although, a part of Remus agreed with his parents. Maybe Roman wouldn't make it. Roman was prepared for a life of courts and politics, not adventure and danger. Maybe all his skill and intelligence he did have wasn't enough to ensure his survival against the real world where he would have no assistance. Even if Roman was able to send word back, it would take ages to get to him, and by then, it would likely be too late. Remus could tell their father felt much the same as he sighed heavily.

"I suppose you are right, Marian." She almost seemed proud of herself as he said do, though it showed not on her lips, only in her eyes. "I am sorry, my boy," Romulus said to Roman, who stood up straighter, trying to force himself to look put together. Romulus opened his arms a little in an inviting motion. "Come here and let me embrace my son." Roman didn't hesitate, closing the distance between them and letting their father hold him, face buried in his robes.

It was all disgustingly emotional for Remus, who discretely checked his own eyes for tears before clearing his throat aggressively. Roman jumped away from the King quickly but relaxed upon seeing only his brother.

"Yes, what is it Remus?" Romulus asked, straightening his robes incase Roman had creased them in a way that may be unappealing. It was habit more than concern for his opinion upon his appearance, the younger prince knew.