Family Gatherings

Robert always hated family gatherings unless his one favourite cousin showed up. Other wise he was stuck sitting on a circle of lilly-pads with family members that had hopped halfway across the country just to eat the same flies he eats every day. Well obviously not the same ones, because those ones are dead.

Roberts favourite cousin is a female from named Roberta. This is because Roberts mum and her sister, Roberta's mum, never usually got along, so when they both had boys they wanted to name him Robert. Except Roberts aunt had a baby girl so had to call her Roberta.

They had chosen the smelliest pond they could find, it had flies flying everywhere for a big feast. When Robert heard rustling coming from the nearby bushes, he knew it was Roberta and her family.

"Roberta!!" He said.

Now to anyone normal human or other animal that would probably sound like something along the lines of 'cRooOaak' but we frogs could understand each other just fine.

"Robert!!" She croak/said back.

All of a sudden this family meeting didn't seem so bad, his favourite family member was here and he had the whole afternoon to play with her.

*    *    *

The afternoon turned into night, and everybody in the family were gathered around in a circle of Lilly-pads. I of course made room for my favourite cousin on my Lilly-pad, since I had no problem sharing with her.

We all sung songs as we tried not to vomit up all the flies we had eaten. Again, to anyone bur us frogs it would've sounded like a lot of ugly croaking that kept everyone up all night.. yeah sorry.

The stars twinkled above and I looked at Roberta, who was sitting very close next to me on my Lilly-pad with limited amount of space.

"The stars look loveleh tonight. I managed to croak out, no pun intended.

"So do you." She replied, which made me frog blush lots, yes we can do that.

"Did you enjoy your meal?" I asked her.

"Yes, but I would it more if I ate you later."

This nearly made me cough up my flies, it definitely took me by surprise.

"You're joking right?" I coughed out.

There was a look in her eyes, something like pain. "Of course I am."

The look in her eyes definitely did not go unnoticed by me, I just chose to ignore it.

"Robertaaa! Come to your own Lilly-pad now! It's time for you to sleep." Both me and Roberta frowned as her mother called out to her, I couldn't believe the night was over already.

"Goodnight Roberta, see you in the morning." I said to her with a sad smile.

"Goodnight Robert." She replied, and poked my cheek with her tongue in a way frogs to, like kissing each other on the cheek.

I stayed on my lilly-pad and watched Roberta make her way over to hers. I smiled at her one last time, before we both shut out gigantic frog eyes and slept for the night. Or atleast tried to...

Uhh, the end?

This is one of the best things I've ever written, bye bye

-Ava🐙