~4~ Sleeping Beauty and Frenemies Revealed

Zayns p.o.v

I was by her side the minute she opened her beautiful green eyes. I felt a tidal wave of relief wash over me and joy bubbled up inside of me. Juding by the collective gasps and sighs around me, i could tell everyone felt the same. Carefully I caressed her forehead hoping to comfort her in some way. She looked around at the seven hopefull faces confused and weary.

"where am I?" she breathed, her brow creasing at the tears falling from my face. I hated seeing her so fragile and helpless and I wished desperately that I could take her place, I wish I was the one who'd gotten shot.

Suddenly her breathing became heavy and a doctor appeared, pushing us out of the way. He insisted we left but after a few moments of arguing allowed Kas, Harry and I to stay by her side while the doctor helped her sit up.

"Welcome back Alissa, Today's Thursday the 5th, you've been asleep for almost two days now. My names doctor Jacobs. I'll be looking after you from now until your discharged" he smiled reading her chart "how are you feeling?".

Alissa nodded slowly at Dr. Jacobs "I'm...I'm ok". She brushed a strand of hair from her eyes and looked around the room meeting my gaze. "hey" I gushed, hoping to see that amazing glint in her eye. She smiled meekly at me and yawned loudly, leaning backwards to stretch her neck. From the corner of my eye I could see Harry and Kasey grinning at the familiar sound.

For the next hour or so Harry and Kas swapped with the rest of the group though I felt scared to leave her. Liam sang her favorite song, Ain't no mountain high enough, Louis told ridiculous jokes that, after 7 years, Al still found highly amusing, Niall and tess babbled on about some tv show and gossip and through it all she kept hold of my hand.

Things had lightened up slightly now that Al was awake and after an hour of alternating between friends everyone felt leaving to have a good nights sleep and a shower was necessary.

I hadn't talked much while the other were there. I just kept thinking about how to tell her how much she meant to me and how stupid I was to wait until she got shot. When it was just the two of us I was ready to speak but Sargent Haze disturbed me. "Alissa we need to speak to you" he stated firmly taking off his cap. "Did you get him?" Al whispered, her hands shaking furiously at the thought of the guy who almost killed her. Sargent Haze began to explain how Seben Hall was last seen driving off towars the airport and the police believe he had left the country. They also believe Al should be safe now as there is a huge sign over his head for numerous reasons.

Though Alissa was safe the thought of Seben on the loose clearly didn't reassure her. Sargent Haze left leaving Al and I speechless. Not exactly sure what to do, I clambered onto the tiny bed and wrapped Al in my arms, murmering words of comfort until she gently drifted off to sleep.

Slowly I leaned down to softly kiss her head. "I love you" I whispered and then I Returned to my plastic hospital chair and watched Al as she slept, hoping my presence would stop her from having nightmares and confident in the knowledge that if she did, I'd be there to Relax her.

***

Niall woke me up the next morning. His face looked fresher and he was holding a large bouquet of flowers which he placed in a vase near the window. I felt awful, rubbing my back and groaning at the awkward position I'd slept it, one of the nurses must've put a blanket over me.

"What time is it?" I grumbled groggily looking around.

"Time for you to go get some food and leave this room before you go stir crazy!" He laughed "Louis, Tess and Liam are in the food court upstairs, go get some breakfast she'll be fine with us for an hour or so"