2. The note

The next morning, Luz woke up early. She hadn't slept well that night, as she felt overwhelmed. She had been living in the Boiling Islands for three months, and during this period of time, she had met all kinds of fantasy creatures, she had learnt to make magic using glyphs and she had fought Emperor Belos. She had also started dating an awesome witch and had made new friends who cared about her. Eda, King, Hooty, Lilith..., they were all on her side; and she felt loved.

Nevertheless, she knew she was lying to her mother, she was betraying her trust. And Luz also knew that she was living a lie. It was a dream from which she would have to wake up, sooner rather than later, to return to her world. A world where she'd never belong. A world that she had never called home.

And then there was the whole emperor thing. Belos was a dictator who didn't care at all about people's well-being, and for some reason that Luz couldn't understand yet, he wanted to establish a connection between the Boiling Islands and the Human Realm. The only thing that Luz knew for real was that they couldn't let him do so. Moreover, Emperor Belos was looking for them, and Luz was afraid that she would be forced to abandon her magic studies in Hexside.

Furthermore, feelings of guilt were growing inside the human girl. She felt responsible for the capture and nearly petrification of Eda, although things had turned out better than expected (they had saved the Owl Lady and she had started sharing the curse with Lilith). In any case, Luz's heart hurt every time she saw the sisters struggling with the glyphs, as she thought that, if it hadn't been for her, they wouldn't have lost their powers.

With all these thoughts running through her head, Luz put on his uniform, took breakfast and, after saying goodbye to Lilith (who was the only person, apart from Luz, that was already awake), she left the Owl House with a smile on her face.

Luz arrived at Hexside one hour before lessons started, so she went straight into her classroom, as she supposed her friends wouldn't have come yet. What a surprise when she saw Amity Blight sitting in the front row while reading a book.

- Amity!- she shouted excitedly, before realizing that her girlfriend didn't seem to have recovered at all. The young witch looked pastier than usual; her beautiful golden eyes, which would normally shine when seeing Luz, were lost in the deepest abyss, as dark circles suggested she hadn't slept properly; her small and delicate hands seemed to tremble with cold while holding the book; and her skin was chapped, looking like a glass that at any moment may just break- Are you ok?- she asked in a whistle.

- Oh, Luz! Yeah, I'm fine- she answered in a high pitch.- How are you doing? Have you had any problems with the Emperor's guards?

- What?... Oh, no, no... there's no need to worry. Everything's alright right here. Those soldiers can't deal with my glyphs.- the human said while taking some glyphs from her bag.

- I'm glad to hear that.- the witch stated as a little smile appeared on her face.

- Ehh, yeah, that's great... But, are you sure you're okay? Yesterday, your siblings told me that you were ill. Are you fully recovered?- Luz asked. She was worried about her partner.

- I have already told you that I'm fine. - she assured- I don't now what those two have told you, but there is nothing wrong with me. I'm alright... I promise.

At that moment, Willow entered the room and joined the conversation, which came to the end when the teacher arrived.

Luz spent the whole lesson looking at Amity, althought she was told off after that. In the case of the Blight girl, she was focused on the explanations, and would answer any question the teacher asked. She was still the best student in Hexside.

Once the lesson finished, Luz went to the illusion class, where she would meet Gus and interrogate the Blight twins about Amity's health.