4. The promise

---

Author's note: the events narrated in this chapter correspond temporarily with the flashback of the previous chapter, and they are parallel to the call between Willow and Luz.

---

Once her apprentice went upstairs in order to talk with her friend, Eda couldn't help but smile. She knew Luz was under great pressure, and, although the human would never say it or accept it, everything that was going on lately affected her in a very negative way. With that in mind, the Owl Lady took a last sip at her glass of Apple Blood and stood up from the couch before starting her way to her sister's bedroom. "At this rate, I'm gonna become a psychologist", she thought as she knocked on the door of her storeroom, to finish once at all with the family drama.

- Lily, can we talk?- the gray-haired witch asked behind the door.

- Come in, Eda.

- Nice room!- the younger witch said to make the tension subside.

- Pff, it's your attic, sis.

- I know, that's why I said it.- Eda smiled- Hey, you don't need to worry that much about the rebellion thing. I'm aware of how difficult it will be to finish that damned witch, but we're planning everything carefully and I'm sure we'll do it somehow. And the Boiling Islands will get back to being free and in peace when we overthrow him. Magic will be owned by no one but will belong to everyone.

- You make it sound simple, but we both know it's not gonna be as easy as we wished. And even if you're eventually right and we defeat the Emperor, we're going to need the help of the very same Titan to convince people in the Islands to support our revolution.- Lilith commented.

- You're right, Lily, if it were that simple, I would have done it on my own a long time ago.- she expressed with her customary modesty- And as it is a really hard task, we need to be more united than ever; and have faith that, no matter what, if we stay together, we will succeed..

- But, what if we just can't do it? What if it turns out to be an impossible task and we fail? I'm afraid, Edalyn. I, I don't..., I just don't want to lose you again. I cannot lose you again.- the blue-haired witch whispered. Her eyes were glazed, and they reflected the pain and guilt she felt for putting her sister off for so many years.

- Lily, look at me.- her sister gently asked, as the other witch had looked away and refused to make eye contact- No one's losing anyone, ok? Everything's gonna be alri-

- You don't know that!- Lilith interrupted screaming, shattering in her sister's arms, as she caressed her back- I-I'm sorry, I...

- It's ok... I'm scared too.- the Owl Lady confessed- And you're right, it's impossible for us to know what the future will bring..., but there's something I know for sure.- she said, looking at her sister's eyes- I love you so much and I won't let anything bad happen to you.- she concluded, wiping a tear from her golden eye, holding Lilith tight.

- I love you too.- she answered, hugging Eda back- And I will also protect you... I will protect you both.

- Protect "us both"?- the gray-haired witch asked, pulling out of the embrace.

- Of course, silly. I'm talking about you and that human girl. I know how much she means to you, so I won't let her get hurt either.

- Well, I see you do care about her so much that you don't even know her name.- the Owl Lady ironically said.

- Ha, ha, you're very funny, little sister. But for your information, I know her name's Luz.- the older witch expressed.

- Then, why do you still call her "human girl"?

- I don't know... I just got used to it. That's the way we used to call her at the Emperor's Coven.

- For being the "most powerful witches in the Boiling Islands", you don't seem to be that clever. You can't even memorize the name of one of your greatest enemies!- Eda laughed at her sister.

- Well, yes, but you have to talk about "them", sis, I I don't belong there anymore.- Lilith replicated. "And I never felt like I did", she thought.

- Yeah, yeah... Anyway, it's getting sort of late, why don't you prepare dinner while I try to convince Luz to take a shower? - she said out loud, so that her apprentice could hear her.

- Never! I'm a real otaku, and that would be an unforgivable act!

- Good luck, sister.- Lilith said while standing up from the bed.

- Thank you, Lily. I'll probably need it.- Eda said. She knew how stubborn her apprentice was. At that point, she didn't feel like Luz's mentor, but like her mother.