Chapter Eight

Kate smiled in relief as she approached Clint's house. It was the house that had become a home to her: a place where she felt safe.

She looked behind her to Peter and Yelena. Peter nodded nervously and Yelena wore an unreadable expression. Kate hated it when she did that; she never knew what she was thinking, it was frustrating.

"Ready?" Kate asked as she was about to knock on the door.

"Hurry up, Kate Bishop," Yelena sighed, "I want to see Fanny."

Kate rolled her eyes and knocked.

Peter chuckled at the two as the door opened to reveal Laura Barton.

Kate grinned happily when Laura engulfed her into a hug, "Kate, you're back."

"Hey, Laura," Kate beamed as she pulled away.

Laura looked at Peter with a smile, "you must be Peter Parker, it's so nice to meet you. I'm Laura."

"Hi Laura, it's great to meet you," Peter grinned.

Laura then looked at the blonde assassin with a sad smile. Her eye's full of kindness and free of judgement. Yelena looked down at the floor pointedly.

"And you must be Yelena," Laura noted, "welcome, please make yourself at home. Come in, come in."

Kate took the lead and strode into the house happily. Peter walked beside her and Yelena followed from behind.

"You're here at the perfect time," Laura announced as she closed the door, "everyone arrived this morning. They're outside currently because it's such a nice day."

"That's great!" Kate said cheerfully as she placed her bags on the couch, "let's go say hi."

"Sure!" Peter agreed, dropping his bags next to Kate's.

"You coming, Yelena?" Kate asked as she walked towards the back door.

However, the assassin didn't reply. Kate looked back in confusion, "Yelena?"

The blonde was stood staring at the wall. Her mouth formed the perfect frown as her eyes were glued to a framed photograph. The bags slipped from her fingers and thumped onto the floor.

"Yelena, what are you-?" Kate asked softly as she approached her friend and slowly placed a hand on her shoulder.

Yelena shrugged Kate's hand off her shoulder and took the photograph off the wall carefully.

Kate looked down at the photo and gasped softly in understanding. In the photo Natasha and Clint smiled wholeheartedly as they sat next to eachother on the couch.

Kate glanced at the assassin sadly and watched her trace over the image with her thumb.

Laura seemed to have noticed what was happening and looked at Kate meaningfully; gesturing for her to leave her and Yelena to talk for a moment.

Kate nodded and walked out the room quietly.

"You know," Laura spoke as she stood beside the blonde, "you're always welcome here."

Yelena sniffled but said nothing. Laura continued, "Natasha was family to us. And you're Nat's sister. So, if you want, you can be a part of our family? I know I'd love to get to know you better. And it's clear that you and Kate are already friends. What do you think?"

Yelena looked up from the photo and straight at Laura, "I am not Natalia."

"Oh, I know that," she chuckled kindly, "you're Yelena Belova."

"I tried to kill your husband and got very close to doing so," Yelena added with a raise of her eyebrow.

"Yes, but you didn't," Laura shrugged, "your sister tried to kill him when they first met too."