Chapter Four

Yelena headed towards her apartment; her keys in her hands and Fanny by her side. She looked behind her and saw Kate, Barton and Spider boy following behind her with Kate's dog. She sighed and unlocked the door.

Her apartment was a mess: dog toys and weapons were scattered around the living room.

Kate's eye's widened as she saw the state her friend was living in. Food wrappers lined the floor and clothes and weapons were piled up around the room. She frowned deeply as she watched Yelena grab two duffel bags and head towards her room.

Fanny bounced happily at one of her toys as the others entered the apartment. Lucky joined her and they played together.

Peter walked into the kitchen and picked up an empty mac and cheese packet. He lifted it to his nose and gagged immediately; dropping it on the floor.

Clint's eyebrows furrowed as he looked around the apartment. He took a double-take as he noticed the only framed photograph in the whole room. He picked it up and gasped softly. It was half a photostrip featuring two young girls: young Natasha and Yelena.

Yelena walked back into the room and started to pick up items from the floor to put in her bag. She looked up, noticing the photo Clint was holding and gently took it from him to put in her bag.

She then walked towards her weapons and spy gear, carefully choosing the right items for this specific mission. She placed them in a case and put the case on top of her bags.

"I'm forgetting something," she frowned thoughtfully, before noticing Fanny and smiling softly, "ah, yes."

She picked up a dog toy and put it in her bag.

"Okay, I'm done. Let's go."

"Okay, so what's the plan, then?" Peter looked at Clint.

"Ahhh, yeah. Plan's aren't my thing," he chuckled, "but, I think it would be best if you three head for New York, while I head back home and try find any information on Val that I can."

"You're not coming with us?" Kate asked in confusion, her eyebrows drawn.

"No, I think this is your mission. I'd just slow you down," he smirked, "keep me in touch of what is happening, okay? I'll try find as much information as I can."

"Okay," Kate nodded.

"Goodluck you three," he smiled.

"Uh... Barton," Yelena scratched her forehead, "would it... would it be okay if you look after Fanny for me?"

Clint looked taken aback by this question, but he nodded quickly in response, "of course. Yeah."

"Thank you," Yelena took out some stuff from her bag that was meant for Fanny and stuffed them into a smaller bag before handing it to Clint.

Yelena crouched down, cuddled her dog and smiled, "I won't be gone long. Barton is going to look after you and you will be fine. I will see you soon."

"Er... you'll look after Lucky too, right?" Kate assumed, pointing at Clint then at her dog.

Clint sighed and hid his smile, "I suppose so. Goodluck, kid."

"Thanks," Kate beamed at her mentor.

Yelena stood up and smiled at Fanny as Clint exited her apartment with both dogs.

"Okay," Yelena nodded, collecting her bags, "what are we waiting for. Let's go."

________________________________________

Kate yawned loudly as she opened her eyes. It was nighttime and Yelena had been driving for a couple of hours. After an hour of Yelena insulting Kate, she began to fall asleep. She was surprised that Yelena hadn't woken her.