Burning Memories [Fruits Basket Fanfiction]

~Kazuko's POV~

I walked through the forest, short of breath. Where was I? I didn't know this place. My arm hurt terribly, I didn't know why. I didn't know anything. The forest was dark and cold. It was so thick that no light came through. I couldn't tell if it was night or day. My long black hair hung in wet strands. Why wet? Oh. It was raining, too. My brain couldn't process anything. I could barely hear the soothing pitter-patter of the rain. Such a beautiful sound. A shame I couldn't hear it. I cradled my left arm, looking around. There had to be some way out the forest. How long had I been here? My vision was starting to blur. I knew nothing. Had nothing to hold onto, except for a single name... Kazuko Usagi. Out of nowhere, I felt an overwhelming sense of dizziness. It hit me like a strong ocean current, and I was swept away. My knees hit the muddy ground. I gasped as I felt a nearby bush scrape against my hurt arm. I cried out.

"What's... This?" I heard a voice somewhere. It was an ominous voice that send cold fear coursing through my veins.

"A girl. A small little girl. What are you doing here?" I looked up to see who was talking. A person stood right in front of me. I couldn't tell if it was a man or a women; but it scared me. It had black hair that went to its chin. Cold, opaque eyes that were as black as the forest.

"Why would a small girl like you be out in this forest? Alone... Tired..." The person crouched down and grabbed a hold of my hurt arm. I gasped as it tightened its grip. "...hurt."

The pain was unbearable. It hurt so much I couldn't feel it. It felt like I was swimming in an ocean of terror, fright, and pain, all brewed together to make this monster that devoured me whole.

"STOP!" I screamed as the person took a stronger hold of my arm. The person began to giggle. It giggled maliciously, an evil, overpowering laugh that hurt my ears. "N-NO!" I tried to scream, but my voice was fading. I was getting weaker and weaker. The laughs continued, tormenting me. The voice changed from ringing endlessly in my ears to sounding as if it were miles away. My eyes flashed with blackness. The person leaned into my eyes, staring at me with a horrifying grin as it continued laughing. Then, a new voice came.

"Akito! What are you...?!" This voice sounded weak and unsure, but I put my faith into it. This new voice could save me from the pain the laughing one brought. But it was too late. Blackness began to settle in my eyes. Was I dying? Or simply falling asleep? I didn't know. All I knew was that before the blackness took over, I saw a new face. A man with reddish brown hair and eyes to match. Concern lay in his deep eyes. Finally, something to hold onto. A person to trust.

Then, everything was swallowed by the dark.

************************************

"Yes, she's right here. She's in the bed. So you can come over? Great. Thank you." My eyes opened to see the bright sunlight. A boy who looked about my age faced away from me. He had fine, silver hair and wore a white long sleeved shirt with dark blue jeans. This strange, mysterious boy put a phone back on the receiver which sat on a desk. The boy dragged a chair back and sat at the desk, sighing. Who was he?

I looked around myself. I lay in a fluffy bed with white sheets and a thick, brown quilt. The wooden floor sparkled, as if it were scrubbed by maids or something daily. Light shone in my eyes, so I lifted my head to get out of the bright sun. There was a rice paper door partway open to let the warm breeze of summer into the room. I wore a dirty blue blouse and a white skirt stained with mud and something red. Wait... Was that... Blood? My eyes opened in fright as I reached to my skirt and dragged a finger along the fabric. My finger came away red, heavy with the scent of- yes- blood.

In silent horror, I stared at the blood and started to tremble. I had to get out of here. These people! These people would try to kill me!

"What's... This?" I remembered the scary person in the forest. Maybe HE brought me here! I had to get out. I HAD to. I HAD TO! The boy didn't notice me. He didn't even turn around as I silently pulled the blankets off me and crawled to the open door. I slipped out the door and felt the wind blow my hair back. It felt so good. Or it did, until I felt the wind blow against my arm. Pain coursed through my ar. I stared at it, seeing a long burn stretch from just above my left elbow to my wrist. What was this?!