Burning Memories~Chapter 3

~Kazuko's POV~

I stared in shocked puzzlement at this large, beautiful black dog that sat in front of me proudly. He almost seemed to smile, but I knew that was impossible. This was a dog, after all. The silvery white rat was small and fragile, and I could not help but glance at its small figure every now and then. After all... What did that strange man with black hair say? That this rat was Yuki? I reached my fingers over to stroke the rat. His fur was soft and silky, but he squirmed under the touch of my fingers. Yuki or not, I was glad this rat was alive. As for the dog... I didn't know. What was this?

"Aren't you going to pet me?" I heard someone whine. I yelped as I flipped my head in every direction, trying to find the voice. It sounded like the black haired man. "After I went through all this just to save you..." I finally detected the source of the voice, but that was impossible. There was no way a DOG would be talking. Yet there it sat, blinking up at me with big, charcoal black eyes, words spilling from its mouth.

"Oh... My... GOD..." I whispered loudly, starting to back away. What the heck was this? There was no way this was real. I had to be dreaming. I balled my hand up into a fist and pressed it against my forehead. "Wake up, wake up..." I muttered.

"This isn't a dream." The dog said. "It's me, Shigure! And look, Yuki's sleeping over there." The dog tipped his head to the side, indicating the rat.

"Sh-Shigure? Who's that?"

The dog laughed. Yes, LAUGHED. A DOG. "I suppose I never did introduce myself. My name is Shigure Sohma. I assume you've already met Yuki."

"ANOTHER Sohma?" I exclaimed with a wide-eyed expression. "How many of you guys ARE there?"

"You'd be surprised. We're one of the largest and wealthiest families in Japan."

"I'm missing something pretty big here." I pointed out, narrowing my eyes.

"Hm?" Shigure asked.

"WHY ARE YOU ANIMALS?!" I shouted loudly, breaking the quiet conversation. I didn't seem to surprise Shigure, though.

"It's our curse." He murmured. "We transform into the twelve animals of the Chinese Zodiac whenever we become weak or we're taken into the arms of the opposite gender."

This man... Shigure Sohma... Was he telling the truth? In that case, what about Hatori and Kureno? Even Akito? Were they cursed? And how much of a burden would that curse be?

"And I'm supposed to believe you?" I asked Shigure, crossing my arms.

"I'd say you already do."

"What makes you think that?"

"Well, you're trembling. I think this whole thing is a bit of a shock to you." Shigure chuckled. I looked down to confirm Shigure's words. I didn't even know it myself, but I was shaking violently. A family who turned into animals- of course I was scared. The Chinese Zodiac had a BUNCH of animals that could kill me. Tiger, wild boar... Heck, they had a DRAGON!

"Tsk, tsk, tsk!" Shigure scolded, shaking his head. "You youngsters have little faith. I even saved your LIFE, but you seem to think I want to kill you."

"How did you...?"

"I can see right through you!" Shigure sang. "You're so easy to read, Kazuko. And so cute, too! Ah, but you might want to look away."

"Look... Away? What for?" I asked in confusion.

"I mean, unless you WANT to see me naked..." Shigure winked at me.

"WHAT THE HECK?!" I screamed. "Y-YOU PERVERT!" At that exact moment, another purple cloud enveloped Shigure. I looked away as he'd advised, wondering why.