Chapter 4

October 27, 2021

Jeremy is busy with his homework, sitting on a wooden chair writing away on top of a wooden computer desk. A women walks by then decides to check in on Jeremy. That woman is Jeremy's mother.

“Jeremy, are you going to dress up for that halloween party that you are going to have this friday?” Jeremy's mother asks, looking at her son waiting for a response, her arms are crossed leaning on the door frame.

“Oh, uh... Yeah. I already brought a costume. It's in the closet.” Jeremy said once he turned around to talk to her.

“Let me take a look at what you are going to be.” Jeremy's mom excitedly said getting to the closet.

“Mooomm!” Jeremy said getting up quickly and blocking the closet so that his mother wouldn't open the door. “It's going to be a surprise besides you can see the costume when I wear it.”

“Well young man you better be dressed properly for that school party. And it better be proper.” His mother said in a serious tone but with a hint of jovialness in it.

“Mom, is it fine for me to go and meet... a friend? I mean you don't have to say yes or anything. You can just be silent and that would be the best ‘no’ that I can get.” Jeremy says messing around with his pencil trying to occupy himself with something to do.

“Let's see... Are you done with your homework?”
“Yes.”
“Done with all of your projects?”
“Yes.”
“Do I need to worry about any bad grades?”
“No.”
“Will you come back before sun down?”
“Yes.”

“Alrighty then go and meet with your friend.” Jeremy's mother said.

“Thanks mom.” Jeremy says with pure joy.

He collects his things, which are his phone and jacket. He gives a quick peck to his mom and says a bye towards his dad, who is watching a movie.

~~~

He told his mother that he was going into a friend's house. He didn't really mean it. He is in front of a certain house. A house that he hasn't been near for nearly two weeks. He knocks on the door and waits for a couple of seconds. Mateo's mother answers the door.

“Ma'am I want to talk to Mateo.” Jeremy said feeling a little nervous all of a sudden.

“Oh he isn't here dear.” She replied upon hearing him. “He is taking a walk in the park with some of his friends. They might be coming back any time soon.”

“Thanks for the help ma'am.” He said, turned around and walked away from the house heading towards the only nearest park.

~~~

Mateo is doing some hoops successfully getting the basketball into the hoop in every single throw. His friends already left after playing basketball with each other since they needed to finish with their own costumes for the party. This was already his tenth shot at doing hoops, his hands bumping into the basketball for it to bounce back like any other experienced basketball player. Jeremy can see Mateo just enjoying himself.

“Mat, can I talk to you?” Jeremy asked once he was in close hearing range.

“Oh please.” Mateo said once hearing the other's voice, stopping the ball from bouncing.

“Look at least hear me out, okay?” Jeremy questions, looking at the other.

“What makes you think I'll do that?” Mateo sarcastically asked not even bothering to listen after this statement.

“Just try and understand what truly happened.” Jeremy says getting closer. Mateo moves back while Jeremy stops walking closer to the other.

Jeremy starts to explain what has happened but while he was beginning to explain he didn't notice the other has slipped in his earphones into his hears. Jeremy is explaining what and why certain things happened, who was still not aware of the other not being able to hear him. Mateo continued to play basketball completely ignoring Jeremy. He only shot five more hoops all in different angles. He knew that the other wouldn't stop talking until he got his point across even if he wasn't hearing the other. Mateo took off his earphones, the music somewhat hearable and looked at the other. Jeremy realized that the other hadn't listened to all that he said.

“Tuffin it doesn't matter, how it happened. You just played with my emotions and because of that I won't get involved with you anymore.” Mateo said it all honesty.

He turns around, not paying attention to the other's expressions, making his own way towards his home. Jeremy looks at Mateo's figure leaving the park realizing that Mateo won't listen at all.