001 - the southside

the southside | 01- E L L Y -

the southside | 01
- E L L Y -

"RONNIE REALLY needs our support on this," my twin brother archie explains, he's leaning against the door frame of my room.

my back is to him, i'm getting ready to head out for school. my homework, laptop and other things sit spewed around my room. utter chaos from my midnight homework session. i straighten my back, cracking it before reaching up to tighten my ponytail. my red hair falls down to just between my shoulder blades.

"yeah, and? veronica is your girlfriend, not mine archie." i reply, leaning down to shove my laptop into my backpack.

"please, elly?" he pleads, and i roll my eyes.

veronica lodge's dad is no good for riverdale, i can feel it. every move he makes seems to rattle one of archie's friends, or cause a disturbance within the town. since hiram rolled into town it seems like one half of riverdale is always up in arms, first jughead when the serpents trashed the drive-in, and the northsiders because of the southsiders joining the now only school in riverdale.

"arch, i don't have the same kind of love from my friends you do. i step on their toes over this, i'm going to be an outcast." i reply, zipping up my bag.

"you can always hang with us," archie sighs, crossing his arms over his chest. "i know that betty misses you a lot, same with jughead."

"then why haven't they reached out?" i snap, sick of the conversation at hand.

archie always has this false hope that maybe things could go back to the way they were when we were in junior high. betty and i as besties, jug and arch as best buds. i have to admit, in a perfect world i'd want that too, but things aren't perfect. after the hellish summer i had, i just want to be normal, i think. as of now, i think i'm doing a pretty good job. i'm a cheerleader, cheryl's number two, and i'm dating the captain of the football team. my grades are good, and i'm getting my memories back. piece by tiny piece i'm figuring out who i was. who i am.

"just think about it, okay?" archie says, and i shake my head.

i throw my bag over my shoulder and push past him. i pause in the hallway, but decide to keep on walking. archie's been babying me, coddling me even since my accident. which to an extent i can understand it. i nearly died, and forgot who everyone was. at the same time i feel like i never have a moment to myself. archie's always lurking. i jog down the stairs, patting vegas as i slip out the front door onto the footpath.

the weather is hazy, it's damp out, fog lining the streets obscuring vision twenty feet head. i thank the powers that be for making me remember a jacket. i pull my hood up as i walk towards the sidewalk, but i catch sight of my boyfriend's car parked on the street.