lemonade

"When life gives you lemons, make lemonade," is a famous phrase used in the face of tragedy or misfortune, to encourage hope and help keep an optimistic attitude; supposedly transforming a sour situation into a sweet and positive solution. When I think about lemonade, I don't just think of the drink; I also think of the memories associated with it. The sensation, the feel, and the taste are all key elements that urge me to return to one of my favorite beverages. The right balance of sweet and sour, drawing you away from the drink while simultaneously making you want more. The refreshing sensation you get on a hot summer day, relaxing you down and quenching your thirst. The comfort, some of us may want and need after a long, hard day.

When my family and I went out to eat, we were all eager to order drinks. "Now Na," My dad would say. "No soda." Despite being the youngest of all my cousins, I was the biggest. I didn't need all of that extra sugar in my body, or so the doctors would have me believe. The waitress comes around, collecting our orders and putting them down on her small notepad. I watch as my cousins and family members order beverages, still undecided about what I should get. I overhear one of my older cousins ordering a strawberry lemonade, and because she had such a strong influence on me, I followed and did the same. As our beverages arrived, my gaze was drawn to the darkish pink drink. The color was stunning, amazing me with the strawberries floating on top. I became attached to the drink because of its tartness and sweetness. To me, lemonade wasn't so ordinary for me that it seemed boring, but it wasn't so crazy that I would feel embarrassed that it was my favorite drink.

As I got older, the drink became more of a comfort drink that I would get every time I went out. It was simple, a staple, and enjoyable. After a hard day at school, my friends and I would occasionally go out to Cruisers for a quick bite to eat. It would begin as a simple idea involving just two people, but before long, a large number of us would gather to catch up on each other's lives and spend time together to make up for the lost time. My friend hands me a cup to get a drink at the soda fountains while we wait for the food. I take a glance around at my options, unsure of what I should get. In the end, I always find my way back to my favorite, half-filling the cup with ice and pressing the lever to pour the drink into my paper cup. I return to my friends and re-enter the booth, poking the straw into my drink. "What did you get?" I'm asked before I take a sip. "Lemonade," I say with a smile, looking down at my cup and reminiscing all the memories attached to this drink.