The Rise of Petrich Hollenburg

(Petrich Ivan Hollenburg,  C

(Petrich Ivan Hollenburg, C.S. Level X)

Petrich Hollenburg was 'called' to be a celestial scribe at the age of 7, but was not exactly sure what had happened. He only knew that when looking up at the star -filled sky on the deck of his father's small merchant steam ship, he saw more than just tiny points of light.
He sometimes perceived lines connecting certain points of light to other points of light, creating a plethora of intermingling geometric shapes. He felt compelled to take pencil to scraps of paper, quickly sketching out what his mind's eye saw, but kept these sketches with him hidden away, not being able to explain them anyway.
From that moment on, Petrich strived to be considered for the Justitia Observatory in faraway Astrea. There he could continue to study the meaning of his new found ability.
      Upon acceptance at age 10 as a novice astronomer, Petrich quickly caught the eye of Master Astronomer Barnabas Frey.

(Sir Barnabas Frey immortalized in sculpture on the grounds of  the Justitia Observatory )      With recommendation from Master Frey, and a rather ruthless battery of tests, Petrich Hollenburg began his studies toward becoming a celestial scribe

With recommendation from Master Frey, and a rather ruthless battery of tests, Petrich Hollenburg began his studies toward becoming a celestial scribe. By age 14, Petrich had already spent three years in the study of astrophysics, advanced astronomy, calligraphy, and art, proving gifted in all areas concerning mathematics and sciences. Art proved a struggle, but practice greatly improved his technique and color palate.
     It was not proven that those 'called' to be a celestial scribe were any more equipped to complete a celestial contract than those who were not.  The Justitia guild refused to distinguish the 'called' from the not 'called'.
      "You are all under the same roof studying the same curriculum to one day take on commissions."  Master Frey had told them from the very beginning.  "If you were 'called' and have with you the presumption that hard work comes secondary, then you are poorly mistaken. In order to avoid needless divisions among you, as far as I am concerned, you might as well have all been 'called' or none of you at all."
     Petrich Hollenburg felt appreciation for the unspoken understanding among his fellow scribes. Therefore, at Justitia, one could forget such things as being 'called', and concentrate on study. At this, Petrich Hollenburg excelled with great aptitude.
There was one area that alluded him, however, and he often wondered if it was the fact that he was, indeed, 'called'. Due to their intensive schedules, it was common for celestial scribes to take on an assistant from anywhere in the observatory. Novices in each area of study vied for the position.
Being an assistant to a celestial scribe afforded great opportunity for the one chosen. Wherever the scribe traveled for a commission, oftentimes for months at a time, his assistant would be with him. Some acted as no more than servants, others, depending upon their area of study, took on far more of the contract's construction.