The Rykindellas

(Petrich Hollenburg in enemy territory)

After six days of train travel, plus another two hours by auto, even a young man of 23 years could feel the effects.  At least when Petrich arrived at the vast Rykindella estate, a crew of servants took hold of all his equipment and luggage straight away to the guest quarters.
He would have gladly been toted away with them if it meant being able to sleep on a bed that was not moving over metal rails. But he knew there was business to attend to with a newborn and it's entire family.
The weeklong journey wasn't really all THAT awful. After the rather intimate talk with Dietfried Baugainvillea, he became a fixture at Petrich's dining table most every evening, along with a young woman Petrich assumed had taken up residence in Dietfried's compartment and from whom he was hiding from when he had come calling in his robe.  Or perhaps it was another young lady altogether. Dietfried Baugainvillea merely enjoyed his food, his drink, his conversation, and gave no inclination of either assumption.
          Petrich listened, drank and laughed heartily with Dietfried Baugainvillea, but not without a sense of inner melancholy.  He could not forget he was enjoying himself with a broken man who carried around with him a curse of his own making. Those were surely the worst of all curses to possess.
         When the train pulled into the depot of Petrich's destination, Dietfried Baugainvillea bowed to him. "Such a pleasure spending this time with you, Master Hollenburg.  The invitation to come along to Blyden with me is still open, you know."
         Petrich thanked him but declined, hoping to meet Dietfried again at possibly this next Grand Showing among the Rykindella.
        Dietfried laughed. "Gods! I rather hope they lose my invitation. But as sure as rain, I'll be there, if only to see your work."
          Petrich bowed gratefully and climbed into a Sudan that was waiting for him, followed by a lorry for his luggage and equipment.
The Rykindella clan was quite the cast of characters. Duchess Amelia, the elegant sleek cat, greeted him proper enough but her eyes narrowed and her mouth smirked.

(The Duchess Amelia in blue)

Duke Archibald Rykindella was a jovial, man in his mid to late-70's. Petrich knew of his illustrious military career with the Gardarik army.  He also knew this career ended after an incident proving the suspicion of senility had taken hold of the former general.